cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Out With IE6

N/A

Out With IE6

I installed Broadband a couple of weeks ago and had a bit of trouble loading the drivers (down to my Win98 set up!, overcome by using a second CD ROM drive) I then had trouble surfing the internet using IE6 as it would inexplicably freeze when moving between sites. The result was that I had to completely shut down my PC and re boot, only to find the same problem minutes later.

Finally after updating just about every bit of software I had, including drivers etc I raised a ticket with plus net to see if it was a prob with my account. Their sugestion was to try another browser.

So I downloaded Netscape 7.0 and not only have the problems gone, the speed seems much quicker as well. The mail handler is also superior to Outlook Express.

So if anyone else has been having trouble like this, get rid of IE6/OE6 and download Netscape, it is better.

MM
2 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Out With IE6

Mozilla 1.2.1 is very good too (it's the open-source version) &, like Netscape, works in Linux as well as Windows. Very occasionally, you'll encounter a website that insists on IE. Some browsers (eg Opera) can pretend to be IE & are 'allowed in' but this benighted attitude is gradually disappearing. Variety is the spice of life!
N/A

RE: Out With IE6

> I installed Broadband a couple of weeks ago and had a bit of trouble loading the drivers (down to my Win98 set up!, overcome by using a second CD ROM drive) I then had trouble surfing the internet using IE6 as it would inexplicably freeze when moving between sites. The result was that I had to completely shut down my PC and re boot, only to find the same problem minutes later.
>
> Finally after updating just about every bit of software I had, including drivers etc I raised a ticket with plus net to see if it was a prob with my account. Their sugestion was to try another browser.
>
> So I downloaded Netscape 7.0 and not only have the problems gone, the speed seems much quicker as well. The mail handler is also superior to Outlook Express.
>
> So if anyone else has been having trouble like this, get rid of IE6/OE6 and download Netscape, it is better.
>
> MM

I found exactly the same thing but it happened before I joined Plusnet and got ADSL. Its still the same but I dont mind as I also think netscape is much better.