cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Options for slow broadband

Innovations
Grafter

My broadband has dropped to 140 kbps. I've had this before. It has been up to 2000 kbps. The slow rate may go on for weeks. I switch it off daily to get the stable rate up but of course it won't go up until the problem goes away. This is a consumer line so BT are not obliged to do anything. Can you suggest what I can do. There's no cable (this is a rural village). I guess I could get an expensive contract with BT then they have to dig the road up. Is mobile phone technology an option nowadays? I seem to be using 250Mb a month although I think that has been up to about 2Gb in the past.
4 REPLIES
N/A

If you could post the results of the BT Speedtester (help here) and your router stats this might help someone diagnose the problems.

If you dial 17070 option 2 with just your phone in the master socket (via a filter) and can hear any noise on the quiet line test then this is a voice fault and BT have to fix it. Report it to BT by calling 150.

In terms of mobile options, I have a 3G data card from Vodafone and 250MB costs me £20 PCM (got a free datacard). If you exceed that then it costs you £1/MB though. T-Mobile have an unlimited Web n' Walk Plus service at £12.50 PCM (on top of line rental, the cheapest option is SIM only at £7.50 PCM) and you should be able to use your phone as a modem if you have a USB cable (or connect via Bluetooth). Worth going into a T-Mobile store and asking about their 3G services and seeing if you can get a free data card or reduction in the line rental from them (if you look sufficiently uncertain then the manager might be persuaded to give you some discounts in order to get his commission).

Is worth noting that all 3G services will be considerably slower than MaxDSL (the maximum theoretical speed is about eight times slower) and most will not allow VOIP services.
Innovations
Grafter

Interesting - I had previously started the Plusnet fault check as a way of getting to raise a ticket and it kept coming up every time I logged on so I finished it - and it says my exchange is RED - high contention. I'll check T-Mobile.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

It looks like the line resync'd around 160kbps around 18/05/2007 20:17:32 and since then it's continuing to sync at a low rate.

First thing I would suggest is to take a look through this:

http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/13

and see if anything there helps. Problem is that the way that Max works is that you won't see an increase in throughput speed immediately. So long as you can find and resolve what's causing the low sync rates you should see an increase in throughput speed in about 3-5 days.

If you run the BT Speedtest this will show the IP profile, this will go up and down as the sync speed goes up and down except that to go up the sync speed needs to stay sync'd at a higher rate for 3-5 days. From looking at the speed history for your line it keeps sync'ing at a low rate so won't go up until that's fixed.

Also, does the time above help at all? Any changes made to the line around this time (new phone or Sky box for example)?
grimme
Grafter

With regards to the T-Mobile Web n Walk Plus add-on to a voice contract.

I believe it is limited to 3GB per month data transfer and should not be used for VOIP services (they have a Web n Walk Max that does include VOIP for more money).