cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Options for Networking

craigbrass
Grafter

Options for Networking

Ok, Annoyingly, the phone socket it at totally the other end of the house to where I keep my computers. Up to now I have used wireless but it is very annoying at times when all 3 computers in the house are on and my laptop. Gets rather slow for some reason. Plus, as I have all computers in one room, would rather have em all wired. So, I have two options, please help me choose the best one :-

1. Master Phone Socket --> Router with inbuilt modem (preferably with gig port) --> Gig Ethernet cable to computer room --> 16 port gigabit switch.
Then it'd be a case of connecting all the computers to a swicth plus connecting an access point so I can still use my laptop wirelessly.

2. Get BT to put a new socket in --> Router with inbuilt modem, 4 port switch and wireless capability.
Then just connect the ports to the computers and run the laptop off the wireless.

I am told the second one may stop me getting 8mb but not want your opinion.

Best Regards,
Craig Brass
5 REPLIES
N/A

Options for Networking

Your 2nd solution seems much more reasonable. I don't think a Gb switch is justified. But it would have been interesting to understand why your wireless network was not performing very well. You may need to optimise which applications are doing what, and where, before reorganising your network. Try some speed and load tests on each machine as a start.
craigbrass
Grafter

Options for Networking

Well yea, but would doing so harbour my chances of getting 8mb when it comes out and how much would it cost to get BT to do it professionally?
N/A

Options for Networking

You will need a splitter on each socket. But BT and PN do not care about what you do on your internal network, and how you share the bandwith between your machines. When 8Mb/s (and later 18Mb/s) are available for you, you will get it even if you have 20 machines behind your router.
craigbrass
Grafter

Options for Networking

I mean the having BT put a new socket in. It will move it a good distance from the front of the house. I am asking won't that mean higher DB levels and thus me not being able to recieve 8mb?
N/A

Options for Networking

Yes it will, but only marginaly.

If those last few extra feet of cable are going to be a real issue, then your already that borderline, you might not get the service in the first place.