cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Optimizing 1mb connection...

N/A

I've just finally got 1mbit broadband today.

It's a good bit faster, very pleased!

But, I'm only getting between 800 and 840kbps on the Plusnet speed test, rather than at least 920. What can I do to increase my speed?

Also, websites don't "connect" any faster, ie. there's still a delay contacting the websites. Of course when the site is loading and connected it loads faster, but is there any way to reduce the initial connection lag?

Thanks!

Mark
13 REPLIES
N/A

Have you tried tweaking your connection , see this post

MTU Tweak

It used to be a sticky, but that seems to have been taken off.

Aaron
N/A

I'm just messing around with the MTU settings at the moment.

Not sure what I was on before (I'm on a Mac), but I've just changed it to 1478.

Should I go up or down to get faster?? Are there any down-sides to changing an MTU?
N/A

You have to get the "magic number" right, but that's a good mtu to start off with. The downsides are slower connection and fragmentation of packets.

Sadly I don't know much about mac's , and what can be tweaked on the connection. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Aaron
N/A

No probs...

What are the minimum and maximum MTU settings? I tried 1700 and it said "out of range". So what are the limits? Should I be going up/down in increments of 1..10..100?

And, will this help the time it takes to connect to a site, as well as download it?
N/A

For ADSL, no more than 1500 is best, but 1478 seems to work well for most people. As for limits, I don't know to be honest.
N/A

Hi

Me too just got 1mb yesterday and going through trial and error to find the optimal setting. Dunno if they definately exist but think you can get programs that can automatically tweak your connection ?

I have had varying results and also wonder if there is a prob with the BT and that ?

Will report more on what I find.

Cheers
N/A

Have a look at the MTU Tweak topic I put a link for above, and yes to some degree it is trial and error, since the best settings are different for every person.

Aaron
keithcalder
Grafter

I upgraded today anh have tried the following settings:

MTU 1478 / RWIN 31636

MTU 1458 / RWIN 31196

MTU 1430 / RWIN 30580

MTU of 1478/RWin 17256

I found the last setting the best, giving me these resulys from adsl guides speed test:

Downstream 920 Kbps (115.0 KB/sec) 993 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 214 Kbps (26.8 KB/sec) 231 Kbps (inc. overheads

Have a go and try the test each time to see if there's improvement in speed.

Keith
N/A

Optimizing 1mb connection

Hi Guys/Gals,

I'm like a kid with a new toy, got my upgrade to 1mb yesterday, and I'm well pleased. So, despite the delay, thanks +Net.

With regards to MTU/RWIN, I've kept mine at the 512kb settings I had which was MTU=1430, RWIN=13900, which used to give me fantastic speeds for 512k.

It seems these work great for 1mb as well (see results below), however, I guess no 2 connections are exactly the same, so do experiment.

For instance, the 1478 settings introduce too much latency on my system, but for others it works a treat.

ADSLguide Results with MTU=1430 and RWIN=13900:
Downstream 955 Kbps (119.4 KB/sec) 1031 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 245 Kbps (30.6 KB/sec) 264 Kbps (inc. overheads)

Plusnet Speedtest Results:
15-09-2004 09:45:51 1008.9
15-09-2004 09:45:04 981.2
15-09-2004 09:44:15 1012.8
15-09-2004 09:43:27 996.1

Happy surfing.
N/A

I just did the Speedtest again this morning, and I got between 680 and 730...

What's going on??

My connection does seem slower today too, when browsing etc. MTU is 1430, I've fiddled about with various figures but they dont make much difference. The highest I've got is 880 last night.
N/A

I would adjust your connection, based on the original link I posted. You'll probably want a MTU of 1478, not as low as 1430.

Re-try the speed test at an MTU of 1478, also check your exchange isn't the problem as well (see user tools link at bottom) .

Aaron
N/A

Changing from 1430 to 1478 hasn't made any difference, and my exhange is showing up as being OK.

Hmm...
N/A

It's a big mistake to rely on just one speed test site. The packet size is defined by the MTU setting of the originating server, and they won't all be the same. You could spend a lot of time optimising your system for the completely artificial case of the PlusNet speed test, only to find that you've made it a lot worse with other sites.
Try the ADSL Guide speed test as well, and perhaps www.dslreports.com too. These last two test upstream speed as well, and you may well find that your MTU settings have a bigger effect on uploads than on downloads. Finally, if you use a router, make sure that its MTU setting is either the same as the PC, or at least 1500.

Eric