cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opening multiple webpages worse at 1 Mbps than 512 kbps

N/A

I use Avant browser, which sits on top of IE6.

Avant can open lots of webpages automatically when it starts up - a very useful feature.

Before I was upgraded to 1 Mbps ADSL, all these windows would open fine after about a minute, but now they all 'give up' very quickly with most images not loaded or even websites not found. I have to manually refresh them individually, which is very annoying. If I do a 'Refresh All' they just timeout again almost immediately.

Is there some setting I can change to solve this problem? It's probably an Internet Explorer setting, not Avant. Because multiple websites are being accessed at the same time, I need to tell IE or Avant to wait longer than normal for responses or re-try more often.

Whatever the timeout setting is, it seems to be related to the connection speed, not an absolute time in seconds.
1 REPLY
N/A

The problem is probaly a dns one as the browser needs to do a dns search for 6 pages at once and then wait for a reply. I suspect this is were the delay is.

You can get around this by putting the ip address in the browser for these start pages so it doesnt need to use dns. Open a cmd window and ping the web address and it should come back with the ip.

The second way is to add the ip's to your host file which again will stop the dns search.

Even if this doesnt fully solve the problem 100% it will make it a lot quicker