cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpenDNS: Simple way to boost your browsing speeds

N/A

I just changed my Primary and Secondary DNS servers to the one's provided by www.opendns.com and have noticed a slight increase in pre-page loading times.

Emphasizing "pre-" because DNS is what converts your human readable web address into the actual IP address of the server you are connecting to.

By changing my default DNS servers to this new free service I would estimate an increase of 1-2 seconds in pre-page loading times.

What does PlusNET have to say about their customers choosing their own DNS servers to use?
5 REPLIES
Liam
Grafter

Re: OpenDNS: Simple way to boost your browsing speeds

What does PlusNET have to say about their customers choosing their own DNS servers to use?

Well... not a lot really. It's up to you if you wish to use your own, or someone else's DNS service. We simply provide the defaults.

One thing I will say, though, is that I personally notice web pages load a little slower using OpenDNS. Mainly, I think, due to the latency increase in using DNS servers located stateside as opposed to our DNS servers which are at the end of the Centrals where your connection terminates.

DNS was a problem for us late last year, but we scaled the platform quite quickly after that and we've recently seen monitoring results which show our DNS servers as being some of the most responsive of many ISPs.

It's certainly up to users though, and if you find using alternative DNS 'tweaks' your connection a little - then that's not a bad thing.

You can see some DNS monitoring on our Portal here :- http://www.plus.net/support/network_performance/dns_response_times.shtml

You can see we're monitoring our own DNS platform, as well as OpenDNS.
N/A

Have you tried it recently? They have a DNS network in London. I retract my claim of 1-2 seconds loading time increase. It's more subjective where I feel that something is happening a bit faster than before where WWW -> IP is getting resolved quickly because its drawn from this gigantic cache that opendns.com claims to have.

Speed increases aside they also provide others benefits that might be useful such as domain blocking and phishing protection which I don't believe the default DNS servers provide.
Community Veteran

Why not mix and match.
Set your primary DNS to on of PlusNet's servers.
And your secondary to OpenDNS.

Then if one has issues the other will pick up for you.

Chilly
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

I run my own DNS server and whilst I don't think there's much of a difference, it's maybe a fraction of a second better than using the PlusNet DNS. I've got OpenDNS set as the third and fifth DNS servers but always seem to take a tad longer to resolve than our servers.
N/A

I've just installed FastCache by AnalogX
this seems to have speeded up my browsing
experience no end.

It caches the dns/ip locally meaning repeat visits
to sites get resolved without having to access
the dns server lookup.

It's well worth a try. Wink

Rob