cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Only synching at 160/160Kb after BT line fault 'repair'

N/A

My phone line went completely dead on Tuesday last week (no dial tone). I reported it to BT who duly 'fixed' it on Thursday.

Since the repair, my ADSL modem has only been able to synch at 160Kb/160Kb (I am on Broadband Premier, and have always been able to synch at 2048/256). I kept the BT fault open on the grounds that I didn't think an effective repair had been made, but they have now closed the fault saying that I am 'happy with the repair'. At no point have they been in touch to ascertain this.

Can anyone suggest what may be wrong, and what most effective course of action to resolve it would be? (I.e. whether to pursue this with BT, or to raise it with PlusNet.)

Thanks in advance.
11 REPLIES
N/A

My modem also lost sync a week ago. I installed a new modem and managed to regain connection, but I can now only connect at 160/160.

To cut a long story short,after a week of raising fruitless tickets/questions, I found out that my BB connection had been switched from BT over to an LLU/Tiscali exchange.

My BT line hasn't been affected, so I'm not sure if this is at the root of your problem, but it's worth checking to see if you've been moved to LLU.
N/A

mygti - what are your line stats? (stuff like SNR margin/attenuation.. etc..)
N/A

Right ...

Firstly, my line stats are ...

LocalLineAttn 40.0 dB
RemoteLineAttn 20.0 dB
LocalSNRMargin 34.0 dB
RemoteSNRMargin 27.0 dB

Secondly, I tried the BT speedtest account (as detailed here http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/27) and was unable to load either of the pages. I understand that if I have been switched to LLU then the BT speedtest is unavailable.

Last of all, my exchange does appear to be in the the list of exchanges that have been enabled for Tiscali LLU!

Hmm?
N/A

Having read through a bunch of posts, it looks very much like I've been switched to Tiscali LLU. http://usertools.plus.net/@gateway shows that I'm on the ptn-ag1 gateway.

I presume the switchover happened on Monday last week when my phoneline went dead. Great start!

I raised a fault ticket last night and it's currently being escalated within the support team ...
N/A

I raised a fault ticket last night and it's currently being escalated within the support team ...

Don't hold your breath...it took a week after I first raised a ticket for Plus to even acknowledge that they switched me to Tiscali.

The whole process has evidently been a completely shambles,and the stony silence from Plusnet about this issue speaks volumes.

They are evidently overwhelmed with complaints and queries at the moment.

The reason I originally joined Plusnet was because I liked their apparent honesty and transparency - something sorely lacking in most of the bigger ISPs.

Sad to say, those are the very qualities that Plusnet seem to be abandoning.

I doubt it's a deliberate policy - I think it's more to do with poor planning and strategy. They presumably are just unable to cope with the sheer volume of customer woes since introducing new techs and suppliers.

At the moment, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt.

I hope they try to reverse the clock and scale down to a more manageable operation.

If not,and this chaos continues for much longer, I will simply vote with my feet (as I suspect will 1000s of others).

I'm sorry to say it, but with my current lousy connection I now have very little reason for sticking with Plusnet,aside from the expense and inconvenience involved in trying to leave them. Sad
N/A

Thanks for the reply gwilliam.

I did a bit of reading around other forums and have now realised the true scale of these LLU problems (if that it is indeed what I am experiencing). I haven't yet had any emails notifying me that I was to be swtiched to LLU, although it appears that it wouldn't appear be unusual for the switch to be made without notification.

Like yourself I joined PN because of their reputation for excellent customer service and honesty. I hope that this issue can be resolved in timely fashion as I am rather miffed to be paying for something that I am not receiving ...
N/A

My connection has suddenly been boosted up to 480/5700, so perhaps there's hope yet! Smiley
N/A

Hey, it's a start Cheesy And at least it means something is happening somewhere?! Hope it means an end to your troubles.

Gives me a bit of hope too ... lol.

Moderators note by John(johnessex) Full quote of preceding post removed as per the Link:rules
N/A

Some progress! Now sync-ing at 6848Kb/672Kb. Smiley

Download speed is at 240K/s according to the PlusNet speed checker. Perhaps it'll go faster at quieter times of day?

Gonna leave the ticket open until I see that it's stable.

I've also noticed there's a specific 'LLU Service Issues' section under the Help Assistant > My Broadband Connection. Is this new?
N/A

I hadn't noticed that LLU link before.

Perhaps it only appears after Plusnet officially recognises your LLU connection?
N/A

I have read that when you're on LLU, they monitor your line for about 14 days before upping the speed. I couldn't figure out why you were syncing so slow to start off with.

your speeds should start to go up fairly soon now.