cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Online gaming too slow

N/A

Online gaming too slow

For the past few days I've been unable to play online (game=Tribes; protocol=UDP). I've been getting pings of about 800ms on servers I usually get 100ms pings on.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

I have a ticket open about this but it's not being answered. The ticket number is 20039123. If someone at PN could take a look at this I'd appreciate it.
31 REPLIES
N/A

Online gaming too slow

I don't know about internet games, but all I can say that for nearly a week my browsing speed has been very low, with some pages taking well over 20sec to load.

The DownStream Connection Speed on my router is close to 5000 kbps, but images appear on my screen in dribs and drabs, just like in the old days when I was on dial-up. The same with my daughters' laptops and they mostly chat or email.

I tried to connect one of the laptops to my mate's Bulldog line and the speed if much higher. This tells me that PN are having problems at the moment other ISPs don't have.

I can expect problems like these when I go on holiday in a thirld world country, but never in one of the richest cities in the world.

NOT VERY HAPPY!!
flatspot
Dabbler

Online gaming too slow

My ping for the last few weeks has been bad, but not 800ms bad. For over a year I've been very pleased with the service. Basically because I've had no trouble whatsoever. Recently however it's taking me longer to connect, and the ping on my game has gone from 40ms (on a German host) to 120ms.

It seems constant at this speed and I've raised a ticket ID: 19961154 and after one reply to do a ping trace (which I've done) I've had no reply since. That was 4 days ago.

It seems to me when you don't get a reply in these cases they seem to know there is a problem but don't want to admit it.

I pay a premium for a low contention ratio so expect some sort of explanation soon. If not, there are plenty of other ISP's willing to take my money.

Let's hope we get replies or it improves soon. I did read that some of us were being put on a service run by Tiscali?

If that's the case with me I'm leaving anyway as I won't have anything to do with those incompetent twerps.
N/A

Online gaming too slow

Problem still exists and ticket still not getting any attention.
N/A

Online gaming too slow

I am now in the same boat!

on Monday I lost all phone and BB connection, fault was logged with BT and later that afternoon, the BB came back on! Great I thought, and after checking my speeds on the router, I was going faster than before! woohoo!

But alas, while browsing and downloading is swift, gaming performance is down the toilet. 1500-2000ms pings, to servers that I should be under 100ms (this is with the race sim rFactor)

A ticket is raised, so lets see what happens. First response is that there is no problem Smiley I think I've been LLU'd as I can't connect to the speed tester.
N/A

Online gaming too slow

Same problem for me in WoW pings that used to be around the 100ms mark, now lucky to get 250ms, think its LLU related.
penders
Grafter

Online gaming too slow

HMmm... sounds like a latency issue... I don't really play games as such, but I noticed it the other week just surfing... despite having a quoted higher download speed, and indeed downloading large files was quicker, pages did not seem to load as quick as they should - I thought. I checked my line stats (as reported by l8nc.com) and sure enough, my average latency (time to receive an initial response) had increased quite a bit! This would definately be a problem for gamers! And, like the chap above says, could be LLU related. (Although I have been LLU'd for longer than I have noticed my increased latency.)

(I have since had major connection issues, but that's for another thread!)
N/A

Online gaming too slow

I think I was LLU'd on monday, coinciding with my phone line going down completely.

Never got any emails stating my account was to be done though Evil

I want my stable connection back!!

EDIT:
|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| WinMTR statistics |
| Host - % | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
| 192.168.0.1 - 0 | 1724 | 1724 | 0 | 0 | 16 | 0 |
| lo0-plusnet.ptn-ag1.plus.net - 1 | 1724 | 1723 | 31 | 32 | 172 | 31 |
| ge0-0-0-103.ptn-gw1.plus.net - 1 | 1724 | 1722 | 31 | 33 | 94 | 31 |
| gi1-1-22.ptn-gw5.plus.net - 0 | 1724 | 1724 | 31 | 33 | 63 | 31 |
| linx2.gw-backbone-a.lon.schlund.net - 0 | 1724 | 1724 | 31 | 35 | 140 | 32 |
| so-7000.gw-backbone-a.bs.ka.schlund.net - 2 | 1724 | 1700 | 46 | 49 | 94 | 47 |
| ge-1001.bba.bs.ka.schlund.net - 0 | 1723 | 1723 | 46 | 50 | 94 | 47 |
| a0kac1.gw-distp-a.bs.ka.schlund.net - 0 | 1723 | 1723 | 46 | 53 | 640 | 46 |
| gw-prtr-a.ds.ka.schlund.net - 0 | 1723 | 1723 | 46 | 51 | 188 | 47 |
| p15166528.pureserver.info - 0 | 1723 | 1723 | 46 | 49 | 79 | 47 |
|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|
WinMTR - 0.8. Copyleft @2000-2002 Vasile Laurentiu Stanimir ( stanimir@cr.nivis.com )

Thats the result of a test to one of my regular game servers Evil
penders
Grafter

LLU = no sync!

I lost sync when I was LLU'd too!
N/A

Online gaming too slow

Just to point out—yes, I'm on LLU. And the ticket still hasn't been answered.
N/A

Online gaming too slow

My Ping has been dreadful too, when are plusnet going to look at this: Test results from a recent test:

Test conducted at: 17/08/2006 11:02:44
Test sequence: Full test

Test 1: Ping times to UK servers
meto.gov.uk: 57.8 ms
bbc.co.uk: 42.5 ms
worcester.ac.uk: 47.3 ms
southwark.gov.uk: 145.8 ms
Test 2: Ping times to European servers
gmd.de: 163 ms
tu-berlin.de: 169.8 ms
lycos.es: 181.5 ms
univie.ac.at: 165.3 ms
Test 3: Ping times to east-coast USA servers
nyi.net: 215.3 ms
unet.brandeis.edu: This test failed due to a server timeout or other error.
helios.dii.utk.edu: 161 ms
mirrors.ptd.net: 210.3 ms
Test 4: Ping times to west-coast USA servers
apache.cdpa.nsysu.edu.tw: 450 ms
meisei-u.ac.jp: 390 ms
opensourcecommunity.ph: 402.7 ms
opensourcecommunity.ph: 402.7 ms
Test 6: Ping times to Australian servers
planetmirror.com: 450.7 ms
mirror.pacific.net.au: 457.3 ms
planetmirror.com: 453.7 ms
apache.ausgamers.com: 449.3 ms
Test 7: Ping times to central Asian servers
apache.rinet.ru: 178 ms
apache.officepark.ru: This test failed due to a server timeout or other error.
oynasana.com: 223 ms
opensourcecommunity.ph: 410 ms
Test 8: Download speeds from UK servers
mirrorservice.org: 1192 Kb/s
Test 9: Download speeds from European servers
xenia.sote.hu: 864 Kb/s
Test 10: Download speeds from east-coast USA servers
apache.reverse.net: 1793 Kb/s
This report was collated using Dan Elwell's Broadband Speed Test
N/A

Online gaming too slow

Well, a week on and they have "applied" to have my interleaving reduced. God knows how long that'll take, connection was shocking last night.

I can't put up with this for a month! I need to see improvement very quickly now or I will seriously consider ditching PN for someone who can give proper support.

So it would seem that I HAVE been LLU'd but I received NO EMAIL NOTIFICATION that this was going to happen.
N/A

Online gaming too slow

Well, a week on and they have "applied" to have my interleaving reduced

If you're gaming, you don't want interleaving at all. Demand to have it disabled (assuming you have a stable enough line without it).
N/A

Online gaming too slow

The connection was just dandy until last monday Evil
N/A

Online gaming too slow

Still having slowdown in gaming. The new ticket number is 20103274. Could someone at PlusNet please answer this ticket?