cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Online gaming pings

N/A

Online gaming pings

Been playing online game for the last year now and have been playing with a 512k broadband connection.I Usually averaged pings between 30-40. Today i upgraded to a 1mb connection and didn`t see any differance. Just confused to why is it that my pings are the same as my old 512k connection. A friend of mine as a 1mb connection and his ping is between 15-25. I though with double the bandwidth I would see a a lower ping rate. Can someone please shed some light onto this.
11 REPLIES
michaelscott
Grafter

Online gaming pings

Unfortunately that isn't the case. The ping is the time it takes for a connection to respond to data, bandwidth is how much data can be transferred. Increasing bandiwdth does not increase response time.
N/A

Online gaming pings

Also pings are dependant on your upload rate. as it will still be at 256kish you woulnt see much if any difference.

I was pinging 40-60 usually 30 at best on my 2mb line so Smiley
N/A

Online gaming pings

Yep upload with online games. So uk will never be any good 4 a while
N/A

Online gaming pings

Must be summat wrong with plusnet upload times then. AS a friend of mine as the exact same package(1mb d/l 256k u/l) but hes with BT. As ive mentioned ive tried my hardware on his connection and the pings are fantastic,so that rules my hardware out
Community Veteran

Online gaming pings

Post some ping times to your game server using WinMTR. Let it run for 5 mins then post what it says in full (use the copy button).

The problem may not be in PlusNets part of the network and the above info will identify where the problem may be,
N/A

Online gaming pings

which online game are you playing ? As i play counter-strike, using normal rates i can get a ping of 20-30, using lower rates my ping goes down to about 15-25 - ping can depend on the server, quality of your connection, also do u have adaware 6.0 as spyware may make your ping worse.

Also ive noticed that the packet loss has come back in the last few months, but i cant be bothered to resolve it again as it'll just come back after a few months.
N/A

Online gaming pings

my pings always hover around 40 now.

Not amazing, but i cant think of any way to get them better :S

(2mb home unlimited)
N/A

Online gaming pings

512/256 I get down to 8 ping on servers within 300 miles or so on most steam games. Southampton to London. When downloading 50kb/s+ I lag like hell, but when I limit the program to 30kb/s down speed, I still get below 30 ping with just about no spikes. Love broadband.

American servers vary from 150 to 400 but I tend to just stay away from them.
N/A

Online gaming pings

lo,your ping will vary a lot depending on your equipment and whats running on it,the whereabouts of the server you are connecting to and how busy it is and the route that your connection is taking to reach that server.there will be no increase in ping speed due to upgrading to 1mb connection the only benefit would be double the download speed.a ping of 30-40 on a busy server in the uk is quite good.roll on the day when bt can put fibre optic cable in to ur house,will be like one big lan then.
N/A

Online gaming pings

since ive been with plusnet i normally get 15-20 ping on counter-strike servers, but as of today im having difficulty pinging anything below 40, im not sure whats going on Sad
N/A

Online gaming pings

ye its been like that recently - 1 day u get a really low ping next it goes up to 40-50 on the other hand yesterday all BT users were lagging like hell! - 200+ pings so its not all bad but i wish plusnet would sort out its packet loss problem :?