cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Online gaming bandwidth usage ?

N/A

I've been playing eq2 since december, and my connection usage stats for the past 3 weeks vary between about 45Mb and 80Mb per day per week. This is for several hours online game playing (and leaving the game logged in to sell items on the in-game market) and some browsing/downloading. There are greater spikes on the Game updates or when I spend more time downloading.

Also take into account that there will be major updates, some of which can be a few hundred Mb depending on what is updated.

It could be similar patterns for things like WoW and I know eve-online is similar. When I used to play UT2K4 my line usage was lower.

The direction of transfer will be a mix of both, but as eurotrain says, generally you will receive more info about where people are, than you need to send the servers. This is likely to be true for the vast majority of online gaming which are fps/rpg/racing/arcade based. How much info will vary alot depending how the software writers code their game zone info. While you can often get a list of every players names, the area you are currently in usually is zoned in some way, which can then have limits on the number of visible players. This affects how much data you need for the other players online.

Due to other things I use my line for any data further back than that (only visible as monthly summaries) is clouded with other data activity.
2 REPLIES
N/A

With the FUP just around the corner I would like to work out which plan to go for, and one of the things I would like to know is the bandwidth usage for online gaming.

I have never played any online games before but I will shortly be starting playing World of Warcraft.

Can anyone tell me how much bandwidth this will use in, say, an hour's online play ?

Is online gaming a mixture of upload & download or is it predominantly one or the other ?

Do all online games use about the same bandwidth/hour ?

Many thanks for your help,
Cheers,
Kevin.
N/A

Re: Online gaming bandwidth usage ?

Can anyone tell me how much bandwidth this will use in, say, an hour's online play ?

I've seen quite a few figures thrown about, but on average I'd say about 40MB/hour downstream and 1-2MB/hour upstream. This is a pretty rough estimate, if you'd like a more detailled figure you could run a package like DU Meter or NetMeter in the background as you play for an hour - these will tell you how many MBs have been transferred in both directions.

Is online gaming a mixture of upload & download or is it predominantly one or the other ?

In a game like WoW, I would say it's more download than upload. You are constantly communicating with the server (or "realm") to let it know your position, what you're doing, etc. - that's your upload. At the same time, the server is telling you what hundreds of other people are doing, and where they're going - that's your download.

Do all online games use about the same bandwidth/hour ?

I think it varies slightly between individual games, and different types of game. For example, a game of multiplayer Solitaire would use less bandwidth than First Person Shooters such as Counter-Strike. It also depends on other factors, such as the number of players in the server.