cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Online Gaming

N/A

Online Gaming

Can anyone tell me why when I play games online namely first person shooters. I spike very badly every so often - for example every 2 minutes I get hit by a large lag spike, however this is not due to the server being unstable as everyone else seems to be fine, and my friends who play on the same server just say its me. Also when I go to my friends house and play I also see they are lag free. So could someone clarify to me why I get this problem with plus net, whereas before I moved house and was with another isp I did not get such a problem and that was with a 512k connection... now I am on a 1mb and I get this problem. Good servive huh?
5 REPLIES
vic_newey
Grafter

Online Gaming

sounds like a program on your PC is trying to access the internet , some 'update' & spyware programmes do this repeatedly. Wouldn't have thought it would lag a 1 meg connection tho.
Do a msconfig /startup & see if you can spot anything that looks like an update
N/A

Online Gaming

Tried this and nope, I have already disabled all non-essential programs, and I have even disabled my firewall to see if this had any impact - but nothing. Before like I said when I was with Wanadoo with the same set up I had no problems. But since moving to plusnet I have had this problem. I mean I can't fault the speed of downloads as they seem to be normal. But I mean the majority of the time I use my connection to play games online - and if I encounter this problem then basically this defies the whole point of me having a connection in the first place. So I would appreciate if you could help me further. This isn't with a single game/server either. I have tried a variety of games/servers and they all suffer the same problem.
N/A

Online Gaming

Do you know how far you are from the exchange, as there is a slim chance that under certain conditions your line is over the threashold for a 1Mb connection. It would probably explain why you never had any problems before, because your line speed was 512k.

It's only a guess, but it seems to fit some of the symptoms.

Aaron
vic_newey
Grafter

Online Gaming

could this be a modem or router problem ? If you have a friend nearby who could let you borrow their router to try or better still bring their computer over & see if theirs still run o.k. with your connection .
N/A

Online Gaming

Not sure about the modem being a problem, although it is the same one I used or got with my Wanadoo 512k account. The modem can handle speeds up to 8mb so :S I was thinking that as well i.e. purchasing a new router to see if that would work.

About the exchange I am not sure how far I am away from it. However my download speeds with my 1mb Premier Account are averaged at around 116kB/s. The max I have reached is around 121kB/s. But generally its consistantly at around 116 so if that is any indication of how far I am from the exchange. But I mean surely that shouldn't matter as the problem as I explained is random spikings rather then a downtime in connection. I mean if my ping was high when I play games but remained stable, I wouldn't mind to be honest. But because it spikes when I am playing every so often I am stuck in a lag spike which costs me my game etc.

So any further help would be appreciated.