cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Online Gaming And Bandwidth Issues

N/A

What with all this talk about FUP and all that, i thought i better check my usage.
Feb is shaping up to be my "normal" usage - around 15 - 20 gig a month
When i checked previous months it had ROCKETED to over 60 gig !!!!!!!
This coincides with my daughter starting to play Sims Online (she dont know how to download stuff, i can assure you)
Will this get me a "warning" should she start playing it again - or is there going to be a workaround ?

Egremont
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

The current VMU includes uploads and downloads. The fair usage system will only consider downloads and VMU is being changed to show download only data.

Each time you exceed the fair usage system you will get an email warning. Nothing will actually happen until you exceed the fair use threashold on your account 3 months in a row. Then your speed will be limited for the remainder of the month.

Also the fair usage amount applies to peak period 8am -> mignight -> 1am. Any data downloaded between 1am and 8am does not count.

So it really depends on how often your daughter plays sims and for how long whether the fair use system will affect you.

What ADSL product do you have?
N/A

I got the 512 Premier
Now - tell me this -are you saying that, just by playing an online game a few hours a week will take me WAY past this "user limit "?

egremont
Community Veteran

Depends on the game and how much data it needs to download. Some games use more than others and some are very internet hungry

I have no idea if playing online sims uses a lot of data or not or whether you or someone else did some large downloads, or used the internet more than you used to, or if the game was say left running overnight still using bandwidth or you did some streaming music or all of the above or something else.

i.e. it's impossible to answer your question, only you can, by monitoring your usage.
N/A

there is no way that the sims could cause that sort of usage, I play BF DC, MOH CD:S online almost every night, and dont get a third of that usage?? something else is sucking bandwidth!
N/A

Games Bandwidth

I agree with robynfali, I play many different Games online, my worst case scenario was 100MB per hour, so you'd need to play for 10 hours a day for 30 days to use 30GB a month. (peak usage)

My estimate for playing Simms 4 hours a night for 30 nights would be more like 4GB.

Hosting a games server (unlikely in this case) would be another story.

UnholyChilli
N/A

yeh..

i play cs and cs:s for about 12 - 15 hours over the weekends and i ve only used about 100mb if that + surfing aswell