cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OneTel

kissack
Grafter

OneTel

I have just had a visit from onetel who said they can now switch the line rental away from BT too. Does this affect the +net service, does anyone know?
14 REPLIES
N/A

OneTel

I am with OneTel on a select services plan and it has no affect to my ADSL.
kissack
Grafter

OneTel

Thanks Rob, does that include line rental too?
FireStorm
Grafter

IDA

OneTel are an IDA provider (Indirect Access). This means OneTels customers outbound calls are pushed into their own network and are then routed over their own (or other peoples) lines. I wasnt aware that onetel can now charge take charge of your line rental.

At the end of the day the line belongs to BT and is hardwired into a BT exchange, the outbound calls are simply passed to OneTel to handle. ADSL uses the same BT copper that you are on.
Community Veteran

OneTel

Yes I am using Onetel and they handle all the calls.
I still however rent the line only off BT at ~ £10-00 per month.
Changing has had no effect on my ADSL at all. Smiley
N/A

OneTel services

Hello,

Been reading this OneTel thread and its very interesting, I had thought that companies like OneTel etc just bought spare network capacity & routes off BT and that this was essentailly how they could offer a cheaper service. But thats obviously not the case at all. I didnt know OneTel had its own network as such, so you see you learn something new all the time. :lol:

Ivan

--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
kissack
Grafter

OneTel

i'll post more details when i get them, but they did say the switch is a paper switch, so the line etc will remain BT's. I am not sure how they are managing the line rental bit, but will look a the paper work when it is sent. I did think I read last year, though, that the line rental bit of BT's business was also going to be opened up to 3rd parties.
N/A

OneTel

All standard CPS serverice should be sompatible with ADSL, however, Line & Calls can no be transfered to other companies.

It has been shown that sometime this can cause ADSL to be ceased and in some rarer casses (I have only seen 2 cases overall, but they are only the reported ones) where ADSL won't funtion at all once switched.

As for there own network. Ownership is very likely not theres.

We think of a telephone line as ours, when infact it belongs to BT and is little more than tented out.

It's more than likely OneTel do the same thing. Rent routes off other providers.

This can be from BT themselves, Energis (wanadoo), Thus (Demon), Tiscali (0 guesses), Bulldog/C&W, Easynet.

There are also resellers, which effectivly resell other companies network capacity, from selling direct access on one network, to providing switch equipment that is capable of providing seemless switching between different providers networks.

I bet you didn't know than a sizeable portion of BT's netwoprk switches over other providers networks.
N/A

Telecos Ivan

Hi philip

I bet you didn't know than a sizeable portion of BT's netwoprk switches over other providers networks.
Doesnt suprise me in the slightest!!, havent BT & other Teleco's have been doing that for donkies years?

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
N/A

OneTel et al

One thing to remember when switching line rental to a company other than BT: if you have a line fault it must be reported to the new Telco who in turn report it to BT. Some might think this a disadvantage, but it is usually much easier reporting it to your own Telco than direct to BT.
N/A

OneTel

I think it is a disadvantage.

It makes them a 3rd party fault report, which is known top be full of issues. It works in the same way that ISPs report faults to BT regarding ADSL.

When your BT and if you have internet access (or can at least borrow some access), you can report a fault online to BT. You will find where an operator rejects your fault, they will near enough accept a fault everytime if made online.

You also get to add your own notes, they would normaly be ignore when you speak to a faults operator. They tend to only go on what they see on there screen, not on what you say the problem is/.
LiamM
Grafter

OneTel

Definately a problem.

My mate had a problem. Contacted One.Tel who basically said it was all his fault and not a fault on the line. Asked BT directly, they said that because the line was rented by One.Tel, they couldn't do anything, but to persist.

It went on for about a week before One.Tel acknowledged anything and got a BT engineer out to them. The engineer said that they try and fob you off for as long as possible hoping the problem will go away, and only call out the engineer as and when definately needed.

On the other hand, I had a problem with my line once. Went completely dead. Rung up BT on my mobile at about 6pm and had an engineer out at about 10pm at night fixing it.
N/A

OneTel

With regard to reporting line faults to Telco's other than BT, I have had considerable experience of both sides of the coin. Several years ago BT moved away from 'direct reporting' and made it much more difficult to actually speak to someone. On the few occasions I reported problems on my home line, directly to BT, I was far drom satisfied with the service I received. I found the same with business lines.

The advantage of handing the fault to another Telco is that they have to chase BT, not you. However, you are dependant on the responsiveness of the Telco. Whilst I have in general had good experiences, One-tel does seem to be an exception, probably because it has grown too fast and now takes it's customers for granted.

Another fact that does not help Telco's is that they are dependant on BT fixing the fault, and there is strong evidence to suggest that BT do not bust a gut to repair faults on lines 'owned' by other Telco's. They just charge 15% more for the same facility (the line) and considerably more for call charges. Now that the BT monopoly has been well and truly broken, the customer is undoubtedly the winner.
N/A

OneTel

I've also found that, on the phone, BT can be less than brilliant at times these days - but I'd agree with Philip that the online reporting facility seems to get the job done.

For the sake of a pound or so per month, I'm not convinced about the real benefits of switching the rental - and if I changed my mind I wouldn't choose OneTel.
N/A

OneTel

From the little I know about it a law was passed by the monopoly's and mergers commission earlier this year allowing companies like One Tel, Talk Talk, Homecall etc to manage the line aswell as the calls.

As stated above previous rules let them just divert the calls through their leased systems at cheaper rates. But the progression of this is now the same for the actual line rental so that consumers only manage 1 bill instead of 2. This leads to easier cost comparisons, for some reason it has been kept very quite for a long time. To my knowledge the rules changed on April 1st (no fools jokes!) but the 3rd party companies are taking their time in setting up the systems to do it.

I think the lines still belong to BT but ALL rental and call charges are managed by 1 company. All to BT or any of the others its consumer choice. The query, in this case, would need to go to One Tel customer services to see how broadband services are effected. But I assume everything would be ok as I would hope they would not introduce such rules to only tie people back to BT for broadband lines? It just would not make sense!

If anybody can shed any more light on the topic it would help greatly