cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ok what's the matter with my connection?

N/A

PlusNet Speed Test
I'm on the 2mb premier package.. and this is the speedtest I've got. I'm on XP Pro and running it through a Netgear DG834 router. Just wondering because my downloads are only like 16kbs when they should be about 230..

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cool

Your current speed is:

136.30kbps

Which means you can download at 17.04 KB/sec. from our servers. Our results show that your current speed is below the level we would expect for your product, you may be able to increase the speed of your connection by adjusting your settings. Please refer to our speed optimization page for more information on getting the most from your ADSL connection.
31 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

probablly it's your MTU and Rwin settings need tweaked, lots of people that u[grade to 1mbit and 2mbit have to change them as there old settings for 0.5mbit no longer work.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

Ok seems to be more problems.. I can;'t use the phone, and it's the only one connected into the 2 way microfilter, there are no others plugged in in the house (we've just moved in).

Getting the same thing for speed.. I'm on 2 meg and getting 150k download and 260ish upload. It's crazy, can someone from Plusnet see if I'm on the right account or if something's gone drastically wrong? Everything is plugged in right and my router says it's connected at the 2 meg speed, yet when speedtesting it's only 150. I should have 2,000 more. :?

I would be so grateful for answers as my connection wasn't even able to hold up teamspeak and a game.. I was just lagging out at 999 on MOH:SH with Teamspeak, and all the other guys were fine and they are all on 512!
N/A

Bit more information, tried my mates adsl modem, and the same thing, upload speed is fine but the speed tests say my download is only at 150k whereas my upload is at 280. Also tried it with a different microfilter and no luck. Also my phone's still not working.. mum is getting a bit stressed. Any ideas if this sounds like aplusnet problem or BT? It can't be hardware as I've tried different modems/microfilters, no other phones are plugged in. I'm just wondering because otherwise I shall be phoning BT tomorrow because I can't go on with this connection speed, and I'd really like to get it all working. Pleeeeeaaaasssssseeeeeeeee help me. Sad

Really want my 2meg line to work! Just so confused as why my router shows it as 2282kbps or something and I'm getting 150. Cry
Community Veteran

How about trying your Mates PC as well?
This will then be the final proof that nothing is wrong at your end.
Then you can raise a link:Contact us ticket and get PlusNet to investigate.
N/A

I'll try and do that John, but I can't imagine it is my PC, it's not as if it's low spec, it's an Alienware gaming machine with a very high spec. It's only recently been reformatted..
Community Veteran

I would be very surprised if it is your machine but at least you will have then proved everything possible at your end. Cool
Community Veteran

Are you connected to the BT master socket? If not try that and make sure there is nothing else plugged in (no phones, faxes etc).

Also if when ADSL is active, you can;t get a dialtone when connecting a phone via a filter/splitter this sounds like a wiring or line fault. You need to raise the problem with BT or via PlusNet.

Also without the ADSL modem connected, do you get a dialtone from a phone if connected via an ADSL filter/splitter. Try both phone sockets. If you do, do you lose dialtone as soon as you plug in the ADSL modem?
N/A

I would be very surprised if it is your machine but at least you will have then proved everything possible at your end. Cool

Ok, my friend has a laptop with a network card in, can I just get him to bring it round and hook it up and see if he gets the same spped as me? If he is still getting the same as me I can raise a contact us ticket? Thanks for all the help.

Oh yeah, not sure if this is irrelevant or anything but..

I'm getting a phonepoint put in my bedroom so I can have my Pc there, it's downstairs now, with this new point could I pay the BT guy a little extra to setup my broadband at the same time? That way if I'm getting the same speeds he can check the line or something?
Community Veteran

1. If your friend brings his laptop round he should br able to use your ADSL connection provided that he sets it up to log in as you.
If that works fine then you have a problem with your gear.
If he still gets the same problems as you then you nedd to raise a ticket.

2.I don't think you could pay the BT guy (other than a back hander) to set up your ADSL. Not if you have gone for the self install contract with PlusNet.

If you need help at all with your wiring then have a look at the Wiring and Filters tutorial which explains how things should be set out to work properly.
N/A

Hi all again. Just tried it with my friends laptop, exactly the same thing. I guess it HAS to be the line. What's the next step to take now?

Also, I have the Netgear DG834, I've tried every version of firmware, and I'm still yet to log on, which is annoying as I speak to a lot of people on there. Anyone who owns one have a solution for this too? Thanks again all.
N/A

If you believe your line is at fault, then you need to raise a fault call with BT, but please bear in mind that if they find a fault with your equipment they can charge you £50 for the call out.
Community Veteran

The first step now is to raise a link:Contact us ticket and get PlusNet to start investigating this with BT.
Your contract for ADSL is with PlusNet so they need to be the starting point for liaising with BT to get this sorted for you.
N/A

John,

In the past I've been told if there is a fault with a BT line, then it's a BT problem not a Plus Net problem. I had a fault with my line and PN investigated it and told me to raise a fault call with BT.

Aaron
Community Veteran

But at this stage we dont know its a line fault, we only suspect it may be.
So the starting point has to be with PlusNet who can check things out first.
If they can find nothing wrong then its over to BT to get the line checked out with the possibility of the £50 fee