cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Office to Home networking problems

N/A

Office to Home networking problems

I'm trying to do something that thousands, if not millions, of people before me must have done. Therefore I'm sure someone out there can give me a simple and elegant way of solving my problem.

I have a Tosh Satellite Pro Laptop with an ethernet port (used to connect to the office network) and a Netgear MA401 Wireless PCMCIA card, that I only plug in when at home.

At home, my desktop's ethernet card is connected to a Netgear DG824M Wireless Modem/Router Internet Gateway. DHCP is enabled on the DG428M.

Both machines are running Windows XP Professional SP1.

I had (naively) hoped that I could get home, boot up my desktop, plug the wireless card into the laptop, boot it up, and then connect to my home LAN and be able to both access my broadband connection, share files and use my printer.

However, if I leave the MA401's TCP/IP properties set to automatic, I can access the ADSL connection but can't seem to see the desktop or printer etc.

If, again under the card's TCP/IP properties, I use the alternate configuration tab and manually enter the laptop's IP address (as shown in the DG824M's setup utility under "Attached Devices"), I can then see the desktop, printer, shared folders etc., but cannot access the ADSL connection.

The IT guys at the office are giving me conflicting advice. One maintains that the only way I can get round the problem is to run something like Globesoft's Multinetwork Manager, the other says the easiest way is to rename my home network to that of my office network.

Personally, I can't believe there isn't the functionality built into XP that will simply and elegantly solve my problem. I''m obviously aware that I can sort myself out if manually reconfigure my TCP/IP settings each time but would prefer an easier and more convenient solution.

Can anyone tell me where I'm going wrong? Is there a right way to do what I'm trying to achieve? Do you need more info about my setup?

David
7 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Office to Home networking problems

Is the office on NT or win 2000, do you belong to a workgroup at work, do you have a fixed IP at work? This will make a difference to how your office/home setup works together. With me we have win2000 at work and my notebook (DELL) is part of the domain when I’m there and it picks up an IP address etc from the DHCP active directory (we found this the best way to set it up with active directory and all that). When I plug it into my home again it picks up an IP address from the DHCP on my router and works without a problem.

Email me if I can help further

Paul

> I'm trying to do something that thousands, if not millions, of people before me must have done. Therefore I'm sure someone out there can give me a simple and elegant way of solving my problem.
>
> I have a Tosh Satellite Pro Laptop with an ethernet port (used to connect to the office network) and a Netgear MA401 Wireless PCMCIA card, that I only plug in when at home.
>
> At home, my desktop's ethernet card is connected to a Netgear DG824M Wireless Modem/Router Internet Gateway. DHCP is enabled on the DG428M.
>
> Both machines are running Windows XP Professional SP1.
>
> I had (naively) hoped that I could get home, boot up my desktop, plug the wireless card into the laptop, boot it up, and then connect to my home LAN and be able to both access my broadband connection, share files and use my printer.
>
> However, if I leave the MA401's TCP/IP properties set to automatic, I can access the ADSL connection but can't seem to see the desktop or printer etc.
>
> If, again under the card's TCP/IP properties, I use the alternate configuration tab and manually enter the laptop's IP address (as shown in the DG824M's setup utility under "Attached Devices"), I can then see the desktop, printer, shared folders etc., but cannot access the ADSL connection.
>
> The IT guys at the office are giving me conflicting advice. One maintains that the only way I can get round the problem is to run something like Globesoft's Multinetwork Manager, the other says the easiest way is to rename my home network to that of my office network.
>
> Personally, I can't believe there isn't the functionality built into XP that will simply and elegantly solve my problem. I''m obviously aware that I can sort myself out if manually reconfigure my TCP/IP settings each time but would prefer an easier and more convenient solution.
>
> Can anyone tell me where I'm going wrong? Is there a right way to do what I'm trying to achieve? Do you need more info about my setup?
>
> David

N/A

run ipconfig /all from the dos prompt so we can see what you setups are. If your using dhcp at home it sounds as though it is not picking up the gateway. At home all pc should have the same ip range and subnet and the gateway should be set to the router.

> I'm trying to do something that thousands, if not millions, of people before me must have done. Therefore I'm sure someone out there can give me a simple and elegant way of solving my problem.
>
> I have a Tosh Satellite Pro Laptop with an ethernet port (used to connect to the office network) and a Netgear MA401 Wireless PCMCIA card, that I only plug in when at home.
>
> At home, my desktop's ethernet card is connected to a Netgear DG824M Wireless Modem/Router Internet Gateway. DHCP is enabled on the DG428M.
>
> Both machines are running Windows XP Professional SP1.
>
> I had (naively) hoped that I could get home, boot up my desktop, plug the wireless card into the laptop, boot it up, and then connect to my home LAN and be able to both access my broadband connection, share files and use my printer.
>
> However, if I leave the MA401's TCP/IP properties set to automatic, I can access the ADSL connection but can't seem to see the desktop or printer etc.
>
> If, again under the card's TCP/IP properties, I use the alternate configuration tab and manually enter the laptop's IP address (as shown in the DG824M's setup utility under "Attached Devices"), I can then see the desktop, printer, shared folders etc., but cannot access the ADSL connection.
>
> The IT guys at the office are giving me conflicting advice. One maintains that the only way I can get round the problem is to run something like Globesoft's Multinetwork Manager, the other says the easiest way is to rename my home network to that of my office network.
>
> Personally, I can't believe there isn't the functionality built into XP that will simply and elegantly solve my problem. I''m obviously aware that I can sort myself out if manually reconfigure my TCP/IP settings each time but would prefer an easier and more convenient solution.
>
> Can anyone tell me where I'm going wrong? Is there a right way to do what I'm trying to achieve? Do you need more info about my setup?
>
> David

N/A

ipconfig produces the following, confirming that DHCP is running. Ran this tonight minus laptop hence lack of reference to wireless adapter.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : HOME

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter HOMELAN:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 S Desktop Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-02-B3-C0-4E-74

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 212.159.13.49

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 16 April 2003 10:48:02 PM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 19 April 2003 10:48:02 PM

N/A

All the clients run XP Pro but don't actually know what the network runs on. If I had to guess, I'd say 2000.
N/A

"> ipconfig produces the following, confirming that DHCP is running. Ran this tonight minus laptop hence lack of reference to wireless adapter."

i thought it was the laptop you wanted to work?

Just reading through you mail again you say that you can get on the ADSL but no network or network with no ADSl. While i can not see what you're doing it would seem that either you have a fixed ip at work and pick up the default gateway from the AD of the win2000 network. when you get home and plug in, it picks up the default gateway but can get on the network because of the fixed IP. When you change it you get a new IP, which allows you to see the network but no default gateway so no ADSL.

so again while it's dificult to say without seeing your setup, the ideal would be to use DHCP at both home and work which issues your laptop with an IP and default routing. if you have a fixed IP at work and this can not be changed then you'll have to set your home system that way or mess about further

You say

"If, again under the card's TCP/IP properties, I use the alternate configuration tab and manually enter the laptop's IP address (as shown in the DG824M's setup utility under "Attached Devices"), I can then see the desktop, printer, shared folders etc., but cannot access the ADSL connection."

This points to your machine not picking up an IP via DHCP i.e. you give it an IP address but no default routing info which of course is 192.168.0.1

hope this helps

Paul
N/A

Bit of a newbie to home networking but my similar system (2 desktops on ethernet, 1 laptop with MA401, DG824M) works fine. I suppose you have made sure the MAC number of the MA104 is listed in Trusted PCs in the Wireless Settings of the DG824M. If so have you tried going to LAN IP Setup and setting the fixed IP address of the laptop in the Reserved IP Table?

Sorry if my newness to this means I haven't understood but my system works fine.

All the best,
Paul.
N/A

For Paul and all those who posted replies ...

I meant to close of this thread a week or so ago, as everything is (and almost certainly always was) working fine.

The only issue appears to be a minute or so delay before I can access any shared folders etc. on the desktop from my laptop. With DHCP enabled on the home network, the laptop is connecting okay. From startup I can share the broadband connection but there is a delay before I can browse to the network. Whatever, it works.

David