cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Off peak times

snapper_mart
Grafter

Off peak times

Can someone confirm to me when the 'OFF peak' times for downloading large amounts of data are? I've looked at the graphs posted by Plus Net, but it isn't particularly useful as there don't seem to be any actual times marked on them!
Thanks
Martin
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Off peak times

There are no fixed on or off peak times because it can vary product to product and day to day as a result of peoples downloading habits.

Also if an off-peak period was stated, this would quickly become the on-peak period as everyone switches their downloading to it and thus make the stated period wrong.

Hence why it is so woooly what the periods are in both customer and PlusNet replies to this very question, which has been asked many times.

All you can do is make a judgement call and say early hours of the morning are probably less used than say weekday evenings.

I'm guessing you may (or are) downloading a lot of data. If so, what sort of figures are you talking about as it may actually be nothing to worry about whatever time of day you download it. e.g. if it's under 100GB/month then that is not a problem, if it's between 100 & 150GB/month then it may be a problem, if it's > 150GB/month it is a problem.
snapper_mart
Grafter

Off peak

Thanks for that Peter,

The reason I asked was that I signed up with a dowload service and mistakenly selected the 100GB per month option which I am tied into, but fortunately only for one month. I was just worried that if I downloaded this amount I would be causing problems for myself. I will be switching to a 10 GB per month service after this.

M
michaelscott
Grafter

Off peak times

Peter, are you saying that plusnet's latest "£21.99 => 100Gb, £29.99 => 150Gb, £39.99 => 200Gb" apply to only peak usage?

i.e. we can download that amount and then as much as we like off-peak?
Community Veteran

Off peak times

No, the figures PN have quoted is total downloaded, regardless of the time period used. The concept of peak/off-peak downloading was only mentioned as part of the FUP and was scrapped along with the FUP.
N/A

Off peak times

I'm guessing you may (or are) downloading a lot of data. If so, what sort of figures are you talking about as it may actually be nothing to worry about whatever time of day you download it. e.g. if it's under 100GB/month then that is not a problem, if it's between 100 & 150GB/month then it may be a problem, if it's > 150GB/month it is a problem.

It's only a problem if you try to download 150GB at peak times as Ben Brown explains.
The key point with the new system is that most of our customers will be able to use their connection exaclty as they want, as much as they want whenever they want - it is only people who consistantly use the connection heavily at busy times who will be contacted about their usage.

For example user A could be using 400GB a month when the network is quiet, and user B might be using 100GB a month but is using the connection mainly at busy times.

User B is causing a far greater impact on our network as we pay for the headroom we need for peak usage. User A isn't causing any impact as there is lots of spare headroom when they are using the connection.

User B would be contacted about their usage and user A won't.

I consistently download in excess of 200GB every month - when the network is quiet. In doing so I have less impact on the network headroom than someone who downloads 50GB at peak times.