cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd behaviour of house wiring

N/A

I've had some problems with broadband this last couple of weeks, since I tried moving my modem/router to a different room. When plugged into the master socket, everything is absolutely fine. When conencted to one (of two) extensions, it works mostly, but sometimes fails. When connected to the other (preferred) extension, I rarely get a conenction, and when I do, it's unusably slow, and usually drops after about a minute.

I'm after practical advice and preferably experience in dealing with this sort of problem!

Before you ask, yes, all the wiring is connected correctly - I've checked all the ends! Analogue also works fine on all extensions. I've replaced the junction box connections (was multiple cores in a push-down/Krone connecter) for screw-down connections. The cabling is all fairly new - about 2 to 5 years old, depending on which bit it is, and is "round" cable. I don't know if it actually contains twisted pairs, or just straight runs of cable. It doesn't run particularly near power, as far as I can tell. (The cabling from the junction box to the two extensions went in at the same time a couple of years ago). The junction box no longer goes anywhere else.

Hardware: modem/router is a netgear DG834 (one of the wired-only ones, no wireless), plus various PCs.

Does anyone have experience of dodgy wiring, and what did you do to solve it?

Any practical ideas welcome!

Thanks
Jon
4 REPLIES
N/A

Is that all the junction box is? Does it have the letters RF, possibly RF2 on it?

There is little or no issue running the cable near power, provided it doesn't run parallel for any great length, multiple crosses are fine.

If the cable solid or a stranded core?
There should not be a problem in using stranded, though solid is a perferance.

Have you performed a quiet test?
This isn't the official way of doing it, however, not having access to the same tools and phone number a engineer has access to, you can perform a makeshift one.

Lift the receiver on a corded phone (cordless is of no use to this test). Dial 1 and listen.

Perform this on an extention that is ok, and the failing one. Does you notice any quality differance.

In all honesty though, the fact you have gotten it down to the single extention, almost conclusivly prooves a line or cable quality issue. Short of replacing it, these tests will only help confirm or proove other possibilities.
N/A

Is that all the junction box is? Does it have the letters RF, possibly RF2 on it?

Right now it's just a bunch of cables connected together in a chocolate block! No, there's no markings on the original either. (And no components in it, if that was what you were thinking.)

There is little or no issue running the cable near power, provided it doesn't run parallel for any great length, multiple crosses are fine.

That's what I thought, and it's nice to hear someone else say it too.

Is the cable solid or a stranded core?
There should not be a problem in using stranded, though solid is a perferance.

It's all solid-core.

Have you performed a quiet test?
This isn't the official way of doing it, however, not having access to the same tools and phone number a engineer has access to, you can perform a makeshift one.

Ok, I tried that. It's slightly noisier on the extension, which as you say points towards wiring quality problem. Thanks for the help confirming that - I've got a shorter list of things to do now :-)

Supplementary question: some companies are now selling cat5 cable for use as telephone wiring (!). Does this really make any difference? (after all, the cabling from the exchange to my house is somewhat longer, and isn't cat5!)

Thanks for your help
Jon
N/A

Indeed, many do, and I would recomend it.

It isn't so much it is better, but that it is better quality than is needed. You can also do things like I do.

I have one fo the filtered faceplates, though customised. I am able to provide filtered and unfiltered connections to each socket in the house. I am even able to provide 10Mb ethernet to some sockets if needed.

Though, that is an after-thought.
N/A

Thanks for your help on this

Jon