cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Numerous TCP connections when I use Webmail

N/A

Hi. I suspect that the problem that I'm having is to do with my router set-up, but here goes. Whenever I connect to Webmail (which I realise is an SSL connection), a utility that I have, called 'Netstat,' shows that I have typically 20-80 TCP connections to Plusnet (server?) IP addresses. My router occasionally logs numerous UDP packets sent to my PC at the same time.

I just ran 'ipconfig /all' and found that I don't have DHCP enabled. TCP/IP properties show that I don't have the IP address assigned automatically, but have fixed it to an address outside the DHCP range that I have set on my router (I am purposely avoiding having my PC in the DHCP range, on advice from someone more-knowledgeable).

Is it possible that this could be the reason for these numerous TCP connections, and is anyone having the same symptoms?

I've already run this past Plusnet support, but they've no answers. I think that these numerous connections are slowing down Webmail transactions markedly, otherwise I'd ignore them. Thanks.
3 REPLIES
N/A

Static IP addressing (AKA, non dyncamic/DHCP) will not affect this (not entirly sure why you have been told not to use DHCP, it is far better for slipstreaming changes by your ISP).

I am not 100% sure what you re trying to say is wrong here.

SSL connections normaly always use one connection per request (each image, CSS or javascript file is a request), because of the nature of encryption technology.

Whereas, standard HTTP sessions can in some cases, resuse connections.
Community Veteran

Are you using Internet Explorer. This is typical for that browser as it opens a separate connection for each image or SSL request.

Try using Mozilla which only uses a couple of connections that I can see and uses far less connections in total than IE for normal browsing.
N/A

Thank you both for your replies. I've been wanting to check out Mozilla for a while. I'll post back if that sorts it out.