cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Now many times do I have to call in to get some HELP?

N/A

:?

I have been struggling for months with poor performance on my MaxDSL which the speed tests have repeatedly shown as well below par - The latest tests I've run both from PN's Speed Checker AND the speedtester.bt.com site confirm that my connection is barely there 89kbps !? (Not exactly 8MB!)

I'm getting really tired of having to keep calling in to encourage some reaction and focus from the Support team - The last guy (Martin?) I spoke to this morning failed to even raise a request with BT after telling me it was going to be done.

And this is after I'd already been told that it had already been escalated to BT yesterday.

This service seems to be like my neighbours front room - "All curtains but No dinner".

I'm fed up with being treated like I've created a problem deliberately and that I'm just annoying and bothering the Support team unnecessarily.

Stop pretending it's rocket science when it's obviously a fault that needs to be looked at - I can tell you this from the pathetic performance I'm getting compared to how it used to be when I first stated with PN in 2003 - I'm not making this up just to annoy you!

Go on - do something positive - be proactive for once.
6 REPLIES
chrisc
Grafter

Can you post the results of a BT Speedtest on here so I can take a look for you?
N/A

Certainly can.....

Results for speedtester.bt.com Sat 16 jun 2007 08:40

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 135 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 6112 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 89 kbps

If you wish to discuss these results please contact your ISP.

If you are experiencing problems with specific applications, servers or websites please contact your ISP for assistance.

Your test has completed please close this window to exit the performance tester.
chrisc
Grafter

Obviously something over the last few days caused your sync rate to drop and this lowered the IP profile of your line to 135kbps.

Unfortunately, due the way that MAxDSL works the profile will not increase automatically the same way that it can decrease.

If you sync at a higher rate, as you are currently doing, then your profile will increase accordingly within 3-5 days (normally 3).

I appreciate the frustration that this causes but unfortunate;y there is very little that we can do in this situation. The nature of the technology means that we have to wait until the profile automatically increases.
N/A

He did say he has struggled for months. The ip profile seems to have a mind of its own. Mine keeps dropping even though I connect at 4500+ it suddenly drops for no reason.

Do we know what actually triggers a profile being lowered as if people knew what could cause ti then we could watch out for it.
chrisc
Grafter

There are a whole host of things that can cause the profile to drop - noise or interference on the line, work being carried out in your local area, internal setup, hardware problems, weather conditions, line quality to name a few. Obviously a fault somewhere along the line can also cause these type of problems.

If you are continuing to experience problems, raise a ticket to our support team so that we can try and investigate further.
James
Grafter

Hi there,

Basically what causes these speed drops is a resynchronisation of your router with the BT Exchange. Your profile was moved to the 135Kbps profile when you had synched with the exchange at 160Kbps. This happened twice.

As Chris has said, there are a wide variety of factors that can cause your connection to drop and resynchronise at a lower level. My suggestion would be to ensure that you have known to work filters and modem/router and to ensure that you are connected to the test socket behind the master faceplate. This will prove service or lack of to your master socket, which is BT's remit. The the problems continue to occur it is BT's obligation to investigate.

I do fully appreciate that this has been ongoing for a considerable period of time and I am sincerely apologetic if you feel that you have been given the runaround.