cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not quite an ADSL question, but this is the best place to as

N/A

Not quite an ADSL question, but this is the best place to as

OK, I have two Toshiba laptops, both wirelessly connected to a DSL-504 access point / router.

Laptop #1, of course mine, is as slow as molasses on a cold day when browsing - we're talking 2-3 mins for news.bbc.co.uk. Laptop #2, the missus's, is like a greyhound by comparison.

Laptop #1 has a built in Toshiba wireless card - I accidentally switched it off on Friday (the switch is easy to fiddle with when pusing books around a desk) and that of course disconnected me. It's now back on and connected, albeit slowly. That is the only recent event I can think of that may have initiated this slowdown. I don't recall installing any new software from Friday onwards - when this started - nor did I make any other hardware setting changes.

Laptop #2 has an Netgear PCMCIA card and is (and always has) runs like a dream.

I've been in communication with PN support - they admit to some ongoing ADSL issues but I'm guessing this is my end and not theirs, to be fair.

However, I've no clue where even to begin, other than like pulling out what's left of my hair.

If anyone - anyone! - can make a suggestion, I will be prepared to have your children.

Can't wait to hear from you.

Thank you.
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Posts: 3,181
Thanks: 19
Fixes: 2
Registered: 31-07-2007

RE: Not quite an ADSL question, but this is the best place t

> Laptop #1 has a built in Toshiba wireless card - I accidentally switched it off on Friday (the switch is easy to fiddle with when pusing books around a desk) and that of course disconnected me. It's now back on and connected, albeit slowly. That is the only recent event I can think of that may have initiated this slowdown. I don't recall installing any new software from Friday onwards -

Did windows reinstall it when its turned off, eg did you see a message found new hardware when your rebooted?

If so maybe windows reinstalled it under a basic guise and possibly at a slower working speed.

eg if a 10/100 nic card is reinstalled, it usually defaults back too 10T not 100.

So quick check of the drivers and its stated windows speed in the sys tray.
--
ADSL @ 288/576 Self Install
IRC.UTCHAT.COM
Usually in #utgames #UT2003chat
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

RE: Not quite an ADSL question, but this is the best place t

Nope, no noticeable reinstallation that I perceived. I've raised a ticket and it's being escalated albeit I'm unsure whether it's a PN issue or not.

I'm getting monitor.plus.net speeds from 11.00kbps to 560+ kbps, so I'm beginning to think that it *IS* an issue at the PN end.

I hate computers some days.

Thanks however for the thought.
N/A

RE: Not quite an ADSL question, but this is the best place t

What is the speed like between the 2 pc's? If you transfer a file between each pc see if one is alot faster than the other. It could be settings on the card like autonegotiate or duplex.

If local transfer is the same then I assume when you say one is faster that you only have one pc on at a time as naturaly if the other is doing a mega download one would be quicker.

You need to work out were the problem is as what you say could be CPU related not adsl.

Ping a site from each pc and see if times vary much. If ping is the same then it could be IE or a CPU problem.

Are the pc spec the same and what O/S


> OK, I have two Toshiba laptops, both wirelessly connected to a DSL-504 access point / router.
>
> Laptop #1, of course mine, is as slow as molasses on a cold day when browsing - we're talking 2-3 mins for news.bbc.co.uk. Laptop #2, the missus's, is like a greyhound by comparison.
>
> Laptop #1 has a built in Toshiba wireless card - I accidentally switched it off on Friday (the switch is easy to fiddle with when pusing books around a desk) and that of course disconnected me. It's now back on and connected, albeit slowly. That is the only recent event I can think of that may have initiated this slowdown. I don't recall installing any new software from Friday onwards - when this started - nor did I make any other hardware setting changes.
>
> Laptop #2 has an Netgear PCMCIA card and is (and always has) runs like a dream.
>
> I've been in communication with PN support - they admit to some ongoing ADSL issues but I'm guessing this is my end and not theirs, to be fair.
>
> However, I've no clue where even to begin, other than like pulling out what's left of my hair.
>
> If anyone - anyone! - can make a suggestion, I will be prepared to have your children.
>
> Can't wait to hear from you.
>
> Thank you.
>

N/A

RE: Not quite an ADSL question, but this is the best place t

> What is the speed like between the 2 pc's? If you transfer a file between each pc see if one is alot faster than the other. It could be settings on the card like autonegotiate or duplex.

Intermittently, the PC -> PC transfer loses the connection, so I'm not sure what's occuring there.


> If local transfer is the same then I assume when you say one is faster that you only have one pc on at a time as naturaly if the other is doing a mega download one would be quicker.

I've got both PC's on, but the reported results are when I was home alone and therefore one PC was idle save for intermittent e-mail checks.


> You need to work out were the problem is as what you say could be CPU related not adsl.
>
> Ping a site from each pc and see if times vary much. If ping is the same then it could be IE or a CPU problem.

Ping time's are the same - but Duncan Scotland @ PlusNet support did suggest clearing the cache, which worked to improve the speed this evening.

Apparently, I now need to have his children.

> Are the pc spec the same and what O/S
Similar spec, Toshiba Satellite Pro's (1 x 6000, 1 x 4300) - with 512MB and 328MB ram + Windows 2000 respectively.

I'll monitor the morning's performance and add more.

Thanks for the thoughts.
N/A

RE: Not quite an ADSL question, but this is the best place t

OK - speed seems to be back up this morning, after clearing the IE cache last night.

Interestingly (to me at least), I had the same issues of snail-slow-speeds with other browsers (Netscape, Opera, Mozilla) ... do they all share the same cache area i.e. is the cache for the connection or is it specific to each browser?

Thanks again for the suggestions.