cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not allowed to regrade

Grimbo
Grafter

Not allowed to regrade

Just been informed that I am not allowed to regrade from 512 to 1Mb because of the particular type of ADSL I have (BT-installed USB)

I have had ADSL since it first came out and it seems that yet again I am being punished for being an early adopter!

Can anyone shed any light on this and have any advice on what I should do?

Thanks
6 REPLIES
N/A

Not allowed to regrade

What you have been told is all well and true.

When BT started the 1Mb Home trial on Oct 6th, they also started two other trials too.

1: Like-for-like regrade

2: Speed regrade

The speed regrade allows those wishing to go for the 1Mb trial to regrade accross.

The like-for-like regrade will permit you to regrade from a Engineer install product (Your USB product is know as "BT IPSTream 500") to the wires only version (Known as "BT IPStream Home 500").

Only after this regrade is complete, can you regrade your speed.

This means it is a two step regrade and could take some time to complete. It will also be expensive, as each of the regrades cost.

You may find it just as quick and cheaper to cease your line, and totaly re-order (you may even be able to cease and re-provide, though i can't find that info), though this involoves downtime.
Grimbo
Grafter

Not allowed to regrade

Thanks for your reply...

So are you saying that in order for me to regrade from 512 to 1Mb, I have to have another engineer come out and somehow change the way the phone wires come into my house?
N/A

Not allowed to regrade

Hmm does this apply for me aswell?

I got adsl like well over 2yrs ago now (was on BT buisiness 500 20:1 package) untill about 2 and half month ago i switch to plus.net 500 package.

Nothings been touched ere, still have the same USB modem same ADSL wall socket.

So acarr can you tell me in advance if its gona be the same for me?
(its due for regrade tomorrow at 9am)

thx
N/A

Not allowed to regrade

chamone. If your regrade has been accepted, then there is no issues involved with yourself. BT would have rejected it instead of giving PlusNet the regrade date.

Grimbo. No, BT will not need to come to your house.

A regrade is the process of changing soemthing into somthing else. It is the fancy way of saying upgrade or downgrade, only there is no up or down, it is just a change.

To regrade from engineer to wires-only, the ISP needs to be on the trial. Otherwise you will need to wait until the full launch goes ahea. If PlusNet are not on the trial, then you would need to migrate to another ISP that does, further again complicating things.

If PlusNet are on the trial then they will ask BT to migrate you onto wires-only. A regrade fee applies.

Along with the regrade, you will be asked to return the modem BT supplied you with during the ADSL install (this was never your property), so you will then need to supply a modem.

Once this migration is complete, and BT have confirmed the migration, you can then request a speed regrade.

Non of this requires a visit from BT.
Grimbo
Grafter

Not allowed to regrade

Thank you, I appreciate your responses...

Your answer just makes me more frustrated though..... I have been with Plusnet for about 6 or 7 years and on ADSL since May 2001 and it seems like pig-headedness on BTs behalf that they wont allow me to upgrade!
N/A

Not allowed to regrade

You can upgrade as I have noted, however, due to the product structure of BT, you can only be on a certain set of products to regrade your speed.

This is why there are two steps. The first one is to get onto the product.

BT are slowly introducing trails to allow migration.

There are 4 product areas. Engineer Home, Engineer Office, Wires-only home and Wires-only office.

Regrades can only be between account available within each area. IE, you can only swap from one speed within the Engineer Home range, to another speed in the Engineer Home range.

Most ISPs, and ever BT, are trying to shift away from Engineer installs. Thus you may find it hard to shift between speeds within the engineer home group.

As such, the first regrade is to shift you from Engineer Home to Wires-only Home. Then you can speed regrade.