cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not Sure What I Need !!

N/A

Not Sure What I Need !!

I am new to this game and have only just joined up with plusnet. My original plan was to go wi-fi and to that end have bought a smc wireless router with print server (SMC2804WBRP) plus the bits for my laptop. Of course I didnt read the small print and now realise it isn't a modem as well. The modem supplied by plusnet only has a USB connection and the router only accepts ethernet connections. Is there any way I can get some sort of adaptor or am I going to have to get another modem, if so does anyone have any recommendations.
Thanks very much and sorry for being such a dullard! Shockedops:
7 REPLIES
N/A

Not Sure What I Need !!

found this m8 may help at scan

Dlink DU-E-100 USB to Ethernet 10/100 Adaptor £9.34 Inc VAT
michaelscott
Grafter

Not Sure What I Need !!

That's to add a network interface to a computer with USB, not add a USB interface to a network. A USB modem needs drivers to work and you can't install drivers on a WAP.
Community Veteran

Not Sure What I Need !!

You could buy a 1 port Ethernet router and plug it into the one you have. You can also buy an external ADSL Ethernet modem but they tend to be expensive.

Failing that get an all in one modem/router/wireless/switch like the Netgear DG834G and sell your SMC router on ebay.
N/A

Not Sure What I Need !!

Here is a DSL to ethernet modem.
As Peter says, they are rare and not cheap.
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=89400
Community Veteran

Not Sure What I Need !!

Or this 1 port modem/router: Ebuyer 1 Port Ethernet ADSL Modem Router - buyer ASR 8000.

It is a bit more complex to setup (because there are 2 routers involved) but is a much cheaper solution - I have used this model recently to replace a cable modem which plugged into an existing Linksys 4 port router.
N/A

Not Sure What I Need !!

alternatively, you could use the computer you now have as a server.
often, newer ones come with ethernet on board, check you havent got it. if not, buy a ethernet card as suggested above and stick it in the main comp.
you then stick the wireless router into the port. the wireless will now pass on the internet connection to the laptop.

to accomplish, you will need to install a network service. this comes with most windows os's.
you will also need to need to have the main comp on when using the lappy.
also, finally, install a proxy service to handle the comms between the internet and the network. (analogx is a free one), google it.

these are the things you need to do.
your only downside being, having the main comp on while the network accesses the internet.
N/A

Not Sure What I Need !!

Thanks everyone for your help, it will probably take me a week to ubderstand it all, but I'm sure I'll get there in the end! Cheesy