cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Norton anti - virus software - can't send/receive mail

N/A

The latest Norton anti-virus update has prevented me from sending and receiving mail with Outlook. If the Norton software is disabled then e-mail works normally.

Any ideas?
cheers
3 REPLIES
Alecto
Grafter

There's no shortcut.

In a few days or weeks they will issue an update that sorts it out (usually without acknowledging the problem). Meanwhile the only other thing you can do is uninstall it, then reinstall it with auto-update off, and run all the updates but the last one that caused the problem.

Because of this, when I used NIS, I turned auto update off and only ran the updates when they were a couple of weeks old.
This seems to be getting less of a rare event - I had it happen twice in three years.

I suggest you do what I did and ditch it for the free AVG antivirus and free Zonealarm firewall. They're a lot smaller and less intrusive than Norton, and do at least as good a job.

edit:
Just for fun, I googled the problem to see how widespread it is just now.
I found the Symantec Help site, where it gave the problem, then said:
Solution:
Symantec needs more data on this problem. You can help by sending us a log file. The steps to do this are in the Technical Information section.

And it then gives a page of instructions how to send a log file to Symantec!

My earlier advice still applies. :roll:
N/A

If the Norton software is disabled then e-mail works normally.

Disable PERMANENTLY by uninstalling the bl**dy thing. This software is complete and utter rubbish. An example: if you do a fresh windows xp install, the computer (any computer more noticeable on older slower machines) zapps along really quick, install norton and straight away it grinds to almost a complete halt (really slow).

The sheer size of this software is amazing. Other products seem to manage to do the same job with half the size.

I would recommend nod32, Kaspersky or AVG antivirus mentioned below.
Nod32 for instance sends out updates everyday, sometimes more often than that. Norton, your lucky if you get an update every week.

Chris
Alecto
Grafter

@rollestonpark
Come on now, stop beating about the bush and say what you really think. :lol: