cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Normal internet access allowed with broadband accounts?

Community Veteran

If I am to believe this page, it would appear that I can access the internet from a standard V.90 modem should I want to on my broadband account. Is this indeed true? If so, it woudl be usefuul for times that broadband goes down, as it has done in the past.

Thomas
16 REPLIES
N/A

I believe that is the case, but i'm pretty sure you have to pay for it i could be wrong
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I believe you can use the 0845 number so yes you have 56k backup
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

If you check connection settings under "My Account" all the details are present there.

And yes you will be charged the local rate tarriff for any connections made via modem.

Darren
Community Veteran

Ah... there was me thinking it'd be free. Oh well.

Thomas
N/A

My personal opinion is if your ADSL goes down & its Plusnets fault then i think people should be entitled to a 56k backup connection for free. After all you are still paying for your ADSL & cant use it.
N/A

This has been over in the past.

The costs of maintain unused equipment for times like this would be very high.

From my understanding, +net may in the future seek to provide some form of backup, or refund, which would be subsidides by increased costs, or wrapped around a BT service package, again, costing money.
N/A

I fully understand what your saying Smiley & BT would be the ones to make the money.
Community Veteran

I think the idea is to add it onto BT Total Care / Enhanced Care which provides a better SLA for fixing ADSL problems. But this in itself is around £10+vat cost, and only available on ADSL S (business BT Installed) and Office ranges, add the backup FRIACO access and you will probably be looking at £20 extra per month.

I might be slightly wrong on this as my info is old. It would / could be cost effective for a business who needs it's internet access though as some sort of insurance policy.

Chris
N/A

Totalcare, thats the one, provided by Colegate, I mean BT.

While this seems a business option, does it come with Friaco access as standard, or is it <ADSL> + <TOTAL CARE> + <BACKUP FRIACO>?

I would ahve thought Totalcare would cover the costs of dial-up rates while ADSL is out of action, thus 0845 rates, and 1 insurance form later.
Community Veteran

Nope, it would be ADSL + Total Care + FRIACO.

Using TotalCare (BT Wholesale) to finance FRIACO (BT Ignite) would be cross subsidising, which is a big no no from Oftel.

The total care pricing is designed to pay for the on call engineer and
emergancy processes they have in place and provide much needed money for BT to shovel in thier furnace.

Chris
N/A

Using TotalCare (BT Wholesale) to finance FRIACO (BT Ignite) would be cross subsidising, which is a big no no from Oftel.

BT Ignite became BT Global Solutions earlier this year, but your point is well made and remains valid.

Thought.... When I finally get ADSL.. I will still have my Netgear RT328 ISDN Router and because I have a separate business line, which is also Home Highway enabled... Is there any automatic way I can use my existing ISDN Router as AUTOMATIC fallback should ADSL fail? (I know how to do it manually..)
Community Veteran

I have not actually tried this but it looks like it may work.
On the connection options with I.E you can click a radio button that says Dial whenever a network connection is not present.
This may be a way to get your automatic backup?
Community Veteran

Yes that would probably work.

I know Ignite have changed names, however thier new name is less well known (and also not as good), but that's BT for you.

Chris
N/A

I have not actually tried this but it looks like it may work.
On the connection options with I.E you can click a radio button that says Dial whenever a network connection is not present.
This may be a way to get your automatic backup?

I will 'play' once I have adsl... though since this is an external router.. I'm not certain that I want it 'dial' as such.. sounds like i need to play with routing tables.. Hmm..