cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noisy master phone socket after ADSL installation

N/A

Noisy master phone socket after ADSL installation

Hi, I have recently had my PlusNet ADSL line activated and installed all the relevant equipment.

However, the master phone socket, into which the most-used telephone in the house is plugged, has been impossible to use ever since due to severe interference and noise.

All other phone sockets in the house are fine, as they are extensions.

I have heard something about filtering that might make this problem go away, but am unclear.

If anyone has any tips, I'd be most grateful.
8 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Noisy master phone socket after ADSL installation

> Hi, I have recently had my PlusNet ADSL line activated and installed all the relevant equipment.
>
> However, the master phone socket, into which the most-used telephone in the house is plugged, has been impossible to use ever since due to severe interference and noise.
>
> All other phone sockets in the house are fine, as they are extensions.
>
> I have heard something about filtering that might make this problem go away, but am unclear.
>
> If anyone has any tips, I'd be most grateful.

Do you have a Microfilter installed? If not you will need one. See the link below it give a good explanation

http://www.thecaretaker.org.uk/microfilters.htm

You can get one from about a £5.00 from Ebay or about £8.00 from any online comp store.
N/A

> Hi, I have recently had my PlusNet ADSL line activated and installed all the relevant equipment.
>
> However, the master phone socket, into which the most-used telephone in the house is plugged, has been impossible to use ever since due to severe interference and noise.
>
> All other phone sockets in the house are fine, as they are extensions.
>
> I have heard something about filtering that might make this problem go away, but am unclear.
>
> If anyone has any tips, I'd be most grateful.

Or here

http://www.solwise.co.uk/adsl_splitters.htm
N/A

High quality cables also can cut intereference!
N/A

or you can get them from here

www.soundsystem.co.uk

they got tonnes in stock at £7.50 each

> High quality cables also can cut intereference!
>

N/A

> or you can get them from here
>
>
> www.soundsystem.co.uk
>
> they got tonnes in stock at £7.50 each
>
>
> > High quality cables also can cut intereference!
> >

LOL - you mean, you have tonns of stcok !!!
N/A

No i think youll find he means they have tons in stock. Meaning that they have a good supply if the product to sell Wink

Dave Allan
N/A

Thanks for the replies.

Right, I read the informative site on microfilters, and am now a bit confused.

Basically, the MASTER BT socket downstairs is only being used for a telephone, and the ADSL router is connected to an extension upstairs (the wall socket of which a microfilter is plugged into).

Now, having read the aforementioned site, I don't know whether in order to solve the noise issue at the master socket I'd have to get a second microfilter for the master socket OR plug a single filter into the master socket and no longer need one for the upstairs ADSL socket (which is just a straighforward extension). Phew Smiley

Thanks in advance for any help.
N/A

> Now, having read the aforementioned site, I don't know whether in order to solve the noise issue at the master socket I'd have to get a second microfilter for the master socket OR plug a single filter into the master socket and no longer need one for the upstairs ADSL socket (which is just a straighforward extension). Phew Smiley
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.

This is what happens any techies out there correct me.

Say you have your master socket, downstairs, and other sockets in different rooms. there can be two cases.

Case 1
All the extentions, in the house if they are connected to the main scocket via an odinaly phone splitter, will only require one Micro Filter. Plug the microfilter in to the main socket and run the rest of the extentions Via the phone jack of the microfilter.

Case2 (which is most likely case)

All the extentions in the house, are connected to the BT master socket via cabeling that run through the wall in the house. Even though the extensions in the rooms look like they are proper wiring bechause they are in the walls, all it does is run a extention from the master socket to each socket in the rooms of the house. In this case when ever you plug a odinary phone to these sockets in the wall, you will need a microfilter, to prevent the ADSL devices interfearence with the phones and the phones doing like whise.

If you are connecting any voice phone to these extentions including master socket, you will need a microfilter.

I hope that clears things up. If it confused you even more sorry. Anywas thats my understanding.

Also there can be times when microfilters can be faulty.