cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noisy Analogue Telephone

Garry
Dabbler

Noisy Analogue Telephone

Have recently installed ADSL but having problems with noisy telephone calls.

Have installed filters from BT http://www.btopenworld.dslshop.co.uk/lineonly/filters.asp but still having problems.

Have got four and tried all four on different telephone extensions with same problem with different degrees of noise. Any ideas?

2 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Noisy Analogue Telephone

> Have recently installed ADSL but having problems with noisy telephone calls.
>
> Have installed filters from BT http://www.btopenworld.dslshop.co.uk/lineonly/filters.asp but still having problems.
>
> Have got four and tried all four on different telephone extensions with same problem with different degrees of noise. Any ideas?
>
>

Having the same problem mate, tried phoning BT who said they'd identified a fault at the exchange and replaced faulty equipment-However, the noise continues. Does it only happen when you're connected to the net? Is there a filter in every socket that has an aplliance on it? If the answer is yes to both, then you may have the same problem that I have where a secondary socket is routed through an extension lead via bad wiring. I find the phone on the extension is much better so if it's the same for you, perhaps get a cordless??

Hope it helps
Garry
Dabbler

RE: Noisy Analogue Telephone

> > Have recently installed ADSL but having problems with noisy telephone calls.
> >
> > Have installed filters from BT http://www.btopenworld.dslshop.co.uk/lineonly/filters.asp but still having problems.
> >
> > Have got four and tried all four on different telephone extensions with same problem with different degrees of noise. Any ideas?
> >
> >
>
> Having the same problem mate, tried phoning BT who said they'd identified a fault at the exchange and replaced faulty equipment-However, the noise continues. Does it only happen when you're connected to the net? Is there a filter in every socket that has an aplliance on it? If the answer is yes to both, then you may have the same problem that I have where a secondary socket is routed through an extension lead via bad wiring. I find the phone on the extension is much better so if it's the same for you, perhaps get a cordless??
>
> Hope it helps

Thanks for Reply.

The problem only occurs when the modem is connected. i.e. no modem on line (physically not connected) I guess until the hardware is physically on line there is no exchange of information / data - therefore hence no chance of interference. The filters have not been put on every extension only those assosiated with phones that are likely to be used.

I have spoken to Plusnet who suggest that maybe the signal is noisy due to poor signal signal quality / gain - so I have reported a suspected fault to BT. Maybe they can do a line test and perhaps turn up the gain. Nothing heard yet so I will let you know the outcome. It maybe also that I have a faulty batch of filters but since they have been purchased from BT it is unlikely that all four are faulty.

Additionally it is my cordless phone that is more noisy but that is the one nearest the source and receiver of the ADSL modem. The other extensions are upstairs and less noisy, so I guess the extra attenuation of the extension (wire) , then the filter has a greater effect. Again the noise is worse (slighlty)if taking out the filters so I guess they are doing there stuff.

Let you know what BT say.