cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noise on Line / Dropping when phone answered

N/A

Hi All,

I've been searching for a solution to my problem. I've had ADSL for about 6 months now and of late I've been having problems where the sync goes the moment the phone is picked up or anyone dials out.

I've had standard BT filters on the line from day one and I've not changed the setup/phones etc since then. I've tried 2 other filters, including different brands and none have seem to stop this problem.

In addition, when ever the phone is used, I get "Modem" noise on the line.

Any ideas, short of getting a second line just for broadband?

Cheers,

GB
34 REPLIES
N/A

Have you got a sky box ?? , that'll also need a filter.
When you mention modem noise, I assume you mean the old 56k warble.
N/A

Hi,

Both Sky and my phone have filters each and the modem noise, is from my router.

Cheers,

GB
N/A

If you are still hearing the noise after replacing the router, then it sounds like the filter connected to your phone is faulty.
N/A

Hi,

I've tried 3 different filters, 2 BT Standard and one ADSL Nation. They can't all be faulty surely?

GB
N/A

If you are still hearing noise on the line, then yes.

However, it may also be an issue in the way you are wiring your filters.

Have you triedi following the Wiring guide and Troubleshooting FAQ/Tutorials in the Tuturials forum?
powerhouse
Dabbler

hope your splitter is plugged just after the main phone socket at home and that your phone and your dsl connection is separated by that splitter.
N/A

Hi,

I followed the advice from the wiring tutorial and that seems to have stopped it from disconnecting.

However I now am left with another problem, last night the phone line was crystal clear after making the changes.

Now you can hear loads of "white noise" in the background. However the connection is staying active.

What could cause the noise to appear over night? Any ideas....
N/A

Again, the white noise is caused by incorrect filter placement, ot faulty filters.
N/A

Just to update, I've tried connect the router to the master socket via a filter and I get the same problems.

In addition even when the router is off, I'm getting noises on my line.

I've tried 3 different filters, I can't believe they are all at fault. I will buy two more and see what effect this has. But I'm not convinced.
N/A

Do the following test.

Taker a corded phone and plug it into the inner jack of the master socket. You will need a screw driver to perform this.

If you still hear white noise, try another corded phone.

If the problems continue, then report it as a possible voice fault to BT. I sugest doing this online at http://www.bt.com/faults where it is much simpler than talking to sombody that won't log it unless they feel the need.

Cordless phone are no use to this test, as they produce there own nature whitenoise.
N/A

I've tried this before but using a digital cordless phone via the filter and I did get noise.

I will try using a corded phone shortly. If I find the corded phone works fine with no interference or noisy, does this mean I have three faulty filters?

I did have BT check the line before, initial they recorded a fault but when the engineer started line tests he couldn't find any fault.
N/A

Only corded phones can gurentee the test clarity needed.

Cordless phones are of no use, even digital ones.

The base unit transformer and the battery power handset introduce there own whitenoise into the signal. Digital just means better clarity over the longer distance and security.

The tests should be performed with and without filters on the line, and without the modem plugged in.

If it stopps under all of these circumstances, plug the modem in.

If it then starts again, then either the filters are broken or there is a fault with thye modem.
N/A

Hi,

I've tried what you suggested with a corded phone. When the filter is in place and the router is connected I get noise. If I disconnect the router, then I still get a small amout of noise. It's faint but enough that your aware it's there.

When I connect the phone directly to the socket, there is no noise at all.

If it's the router, how would I know.
N/A

Did you try doing this with all your filters?

The fact that you can tell the differance between a filtered and unfiltered line (without the router on) is suspect.