Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noise in phone line since MaxDSL upgrade

Gilles
Dabbler

Hello,

I am having an incredible amount of noise on my phone line since I have been upgraded to MaxDSL (yes I use a filter). And the router modem (USR SureConnect 9105) seems to be playing up quite a like (I can see the speed and SNR changing second by second).

Did someone had a similar issue? I am thinking of trying to replace the filter just in case but are they any known problems between MaxDSL and the USR 9105??

Thanks for your help.

Gilles.
9 REPLIES
pacem
Grafter

The filter are to separate the audio spectrum telephone audio from the ADSL supersonic/RF frequencies. Do try a different filter but I suspect that if you still get fluctuating SNR when your router is plugged directly in to the BT master socket even without a filter, then the problem is in BT's line somewhere.

I am in the process of trying to find a BT line fault; I hear "windy" noises on the line and lose sync. And it's not the phones or filters; plugging a phone directly into the master socket (behind the faceplate) still give blowing noises, and plugging the router in directly still give bad SNR.

I've read several character building episodes in here from users struggling with intermittent BT line faults.

Paul.<><
N/A

The good news is, that if you have audible noise on the voice side of your line, BT will come and fix it.

Dial 150 to report the fault, and they'll sort it for you.
oliverb
Grafter

I had audible DSL tones and loud clicks pops and hissing in bad weather. It turned out there was an uncovered BT junction box somewhere and it was getting wet.
pacem
Grafter

I don't think it coincide with the weather; it's been hot and sunny here for 2 weeks now.

I've just discovered that I've been maxADSL's; my router started reporting a connections speed of 2720kbs 2 days after I reported the problem. (I checked for this when I reported it to be sure it wasn't a max DSL problem.) It has been stable on the 2720kbs rate for 3 days now and I'm wondering if BT/PN have set a higher SNR target and I'm not going to get any faster. Connection stats are now (from memory):

Down stream
SNR: 20dB
Attenuation: 30dB
Interleave: fast
Connection Rate 2722000

Up stream
SNR 6db
Attenuation 59dB
interleave: fast
Connection Rate 448000

I'm sure for such a high SNR downstream I should be able to get a much faster connection than that.

My router is a (Solwise) Billion 7400 is connected directly to a filtered BT Master socket.

Paul.<><
oliverb
Grafter

FWIW some Billion firmware revisions swap the upstream and downstream signal strengths. As far as I know 5.04 and 5.05 swap them and 5.06 doesn't but 5.06 is officially Australia only so I haven't tried it.

If I'm right your line conditions are really Atten: 59db SNR 6dB.
pacem
Grafter

ooooh. I wonder how that relates to the fact that it's the "downstream" 20dB reading that fluctuates, never the 6dB one. And it's always the downstream reading that falls to 5dB or so when the line drops. If there were swapped I would have expected it to be the other way around.

I have firmware 5.05, No doubt 5.06 will be released to the rest of the world shortly. I think I got 5.05 when it was only available on the ausie site.

Anyway, maybe I'll just leave things for a week or so before I mess with anything.
Guess if you are right I should be greatful for a connection at all.

Paul.<><
pacem
Grafter

Arrrgh, (sorry to hijack this thread) but PN have told me I was Max'd after I reported the fault so I do (probably) have an intermittent line fault. And now BT have switched on interleaving and I'm connecting at a slightly lower rate still. Ping times have gone from ~30ms to ~60ms which isn't good for VoIP.

Now I guess I have to sit on my hands for 10 days before getting it switched off as it makes no difference.

Paul.<><
N/A

I have the same modem and its a cracker. I wouldnt worry about that I think its definately a fault on your line. The modem uses a very good chipset and I bought it just recently specifically for its good reviews and how it performs Wink

I can remember an incident where the weather was really bad here for a while. Rain, snow etc but the line was fine, but once the weather got warmer the rain/snow which somehow got into some cabling expanded or whatever it does and starting messing up the line. I could only connect to the internet when the phone was being used lol.
pacem
Grafter

Ha! I've been dialing 1471 to get the router to sync :-)

Paul.<><