cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NoNAT - 4xIP addresses, how use?

beskar
Grafter

NoNAT - 4xIP addresses, how use?

Hi - slowly trying to get my head around Routing (previously used (lousy) Zen, but the BT-installed (dumb) router made setup easier)

Apparently I've got 4x IP addresses - .136 - .139, of which .137 and .138 are 'publicly accessible'

(with the Router (Vigor USB) on, I can actually ping .136, .137, .139 over the web)

- what are .136 and .139 used for?

- how do I set up a router to be able to accept .137 and .138 at the same time?? (reason - hang a server off the Router to deal with .137, and a stand alone PC off of it to accept .13Cool

Sorry, Routing - and in particular Routing in a realistic, small biz environment - is one of the few concepts that I have yet to find clear (i.e. idiot-proof) guide for. Thanks for any help.
5 REPLIES
jberry
Grafter

RE: NoNAT - 4xIP addresses, how use?

Hi,

> - what are .136 and .139 used for?

.136 is the network address and .137 is the broadcast address. Both are used by the TCP/IP protocol to route the traffic - and you should be able to ping both of these.

> - how do I set up a router to be able to accept .137 and .138 at the same time?? (reason - hang a server off the Router to deal with .137, and a stand alone PC off of it to accept .13Cool

You don't assign both to your router. You need to assign your router the .137 IP address and then just assign your PC .138 internally. This means that all the ports on the server will be publically acessible (for servers and the like)

> Sorry, Routing - and in particular Routing in a realistic, small biz environment - is one of the few concepts that I have yet to find clear (i.e. idiot-proof) guide for. Thanks for any help.

Making routing work isn't too hard, understanding it is a lot more complicated. Read up on TCP/IP for the basic concepts as this will help your overall understanding.

Regards

Josh
(off duty support agent)
beskar
Grafter

>>off duty support agent<< - Thanks Josh, the interest shown by PlusNet support people was one of the main reasons for switching to PN. Your explanation is the clearest thing I've heard in 3 days... :O)

So, [huge mental leap] would I be right in thinking that traffic flows thus:
a) Someone out there in China pings .136 - .139, and all 4 pings definitely get as far as PlusNet, because they know my ADSL cable should be getting them

b) if my router is UP, and has a .137 address assigned: PlusNet feed all pings to my ADSL cable and...

- the .136 ping works as it is the Network Address (still unsure about what that actually means)

- the .137 ping works because the Router has the address .137 and can respond; also, the .137 address can be NAT'd by the router to be used by numerous PCs behind it

- the .138 ping should work because the .137 router lets the .138 ping through to the .138 addressed Server behind it (which is publicly accessible because no NAT taking place)

- the .139 ping works because it is the Broadcast address (bit unsure about this also)

>>Read up on TCP/IP << - you know, I'm used to reading up on things and making OK progress (e.g. wireless networking, usual hardware gumf) but s*dding routing is one of those things I just don't seem to have much luck with.
Either the explanations are too basic or they head off into the stratosphere (well over my head at least!)

I'm still trawling to find that really good on-line tutorial, with loads of real-world examples and clear diagrams. Oh, and crayons.

beskar
Grafter

HEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!! Unbelievable, I've now got both my SBS server AND my stand alone PC seeing the Net (after 4 days of tearing my hair out - ouch)

Josh, I'm really grateful, you've saved me from having a heart attack. (This is my first (test) PlusNet based SBS install and I was beginning to worry about whether to move my next customer on to the PlusNet / SelfInstall / Vigor 2200USB scenario)

Now I've only got the SMTP/Exchange Server part to deal with (ho, ho) but when I get the whole caboodle working ok I'm going to write up the exercise and post it as a user guide for the SBS NG. I promise you you'll get a name check!

If you were next door I'd buy you a beer or 10, but you'll have to make do with a Virtual one. Cheers!

[jeez, forgotten to say what I actually did:

- Vigor 2200USB Router,
Under 'IP Routing Usage', set 2nd IP as .137, and mask to 255.255.255.252
1st IP for NAT usage is 192.168.16.60, mask 255.255.255.0
DHCP disabled (the stand alone Laptop has static 192.168.16.40, and the SBS provides it for its clients)

SBS box using dual nic scenario (see MS KB Q306802)
SBS box internal IP (192.168.16.2) put in DMZ
SBS external IP (.13Cool with gateway (.137 i.e. the router).]
jberry
Grafter

> Josh, I'm really grateful, you've saved me from having a heart attack. (This is my first (test) PlusNet based SBS install and I was beginning to worry about whether to move my next customer on to the PlusNet / SelfInstall / Vigor 2200USB scenario)

No problem Smiley

Glad to hear that you got everything up and running.

Regards

Josh
--
| Josh Berry......................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Business Support.......................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd...........@http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
rslsys
Grafter

Josh is really heading for Yellow Jersey nomination. He evan rang me at home last sunday regarding a BT visit to a mutual client's site on the following day. Nice to see +net support is getting back to normal after the April 1st deluge.

Keith