cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No wireless connectivity through laptop or PC

N/A

Hi guys, first post so be gentle...

Im not sure what support you can provide on this, but Im thinking that my settings need to be pointed at something on the router re: plusnet connection settings....

Router: D-Link G624M

I can connect to plusnet fine via ethernet connection on this router, and my xbox 360 can connect wirelessly with no problems, but, neither my Intel Centrino Laptop or my brothers PC can connect wirelessly..

We can both see the network, but cannot connect to it...

As the 360 can connect, I'm thinking that there is something on the adapters that I need to point to, i.e. the Internet tcp/ip settings or gateway... but I'm not sure...

I've tried using the Intel Centrino software, and also the Windows software, but neither work...

I've tried changing the default router settings off of LLU to VC-MUX, but not sure what the actually recommended settings areHuh

If anyone can help, I much appreciate any info....

Thank you in advance...

Alex
7 REPLIES
N/A

hmmm, seems to be the Modem... the connections work fine wirelessly with NO WEP setup, but with WEP setup, its not connecting... ho hmmm....... doesn't look like a Plusnet config issue after all... over to the D-Link support forums....

Thanks for all those who looked..

Alex
Community Veteran

Hi Alex.

Allthough I can't offer you any help as I have never gone the wireless route, I just wanted to say that you made a very polite request, and I wish you good luck getting your problem sorted, either here or elsewhere. Wink
N/A

When I had a problem like this I found out the laptop wasn't capable of using the options in the routers configuration, although certain other devices were.

Messing with the config until everything worked was the answer. Eg. Use standard WEP in text (not HEX) mode to start with, shared keys/etc. Gradually increase the used options and use more characters in the passphrase/etc until one of the machines stops working.

I found one of my devices only accepted 64-bit wep keys Shocked
N/A

Hi Alex.

Allthough I can't offer you any help as I have never gone the wireless route, I just wanted to say that you made a very polite request, and I wish you good luck getting your problem sorted, either here or elsewhere. Wink

Why thank you seventhstar! Well, it does pays to be nice to people :lol:

And thanks squidgey, I do appreciate your help!

Turned out that the particular brand of Router when not having the latest firmware installed, simply couldn't use WEP at all, it worked wirelessly with no security, but thats not an option these days......

After installing the firmware update it still didn't work, so trudged the web for help on other forums, and also found that the Super G features don't work great, and that another firmware update is being worked on (don't know when) but I finally managed to get it working with WPA.....

But I have to say on one good point, that it is very fast and is also has good distance...

Cheers guys!
Community Veteran

You will also find that WEP wont work unless you have Windows updated to Service Pack 2.
If your still on Service pack 1 then you are stuck with WPA
N/A

Thanks johnessex, I have SP2, and WPA is better encrypted anyway, although it is a tad slower... just frustrating that the MIMO router was sold without it properly working... I mean, encryption is quite key these days... Tongue

I did do some research on it before I bought it, but it wasn't until I had the problem that I managed to find a couple of articles specifically on the WEP issue...
Community Veteran

Sorry got my WEP's and WPA's the wrong way round.
Unless you have SP2 then you are stuck with the lower encription of WEB.
So Yes you have the better option with WPA.