cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No signal/idle on newly installed binatone 500 ADSL modem

N/A

I've just received my modem pack from plusnet having been sent my activation confirmation yesterday.

I've followed the instructions and it seems to have installed ok on my P3-933, Win98SE system, but it doesn't connect.

The power light is green on the modem, but the line light isn't on.

When I've looked at the Physical Link tab for the Modem settings, the state field says no signal/idle.

I've logged a support call - they are going to do a Whoosh test.

What is this test? Would it not have been done by BT during the activiation? Could I have a system setting wrong for the modem?

thanks

Steve
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Hi,

A woosh test just tests the quality of your line. It may indicate a faulty line or it has degraded for whatever reason since BT did the original test. There is always the possibility the line has not actually been activated yet even though you have been told it has.

One thing to make sure of is how you connect the ADSL modem to the BT socket. Are you going through the filter? are you connecting to an extension socket? Does the ADSL modem sync if you connect it directly to the master socket rather than an extension socket?

Have a read through ADSL: Wiring and Filters to make sure.

Cheers

Peter Cool
Ianwild
Grafter

I spent an hour with a customer who had exactly this problem on Friday. It turned out that his Cordless Phone was causing the problem...

Basically, what you are seeing is that, for some reason, your modem and the local exchange can't talk to each other. I am pretty sure the modem will be working fine is the light is on!

Try unplugging all your telephone devices apart form the modem and let us know how you get on...

Regards,

Ian
N/A

Thanks,

I've only got one line into the house, the filter plugs into this, and then the modem cable is directly into this.

I've tried both filters I was sent, but they both have the same results.

thanks

Steve.
N/A

Can you try using a standard modem cable and plug the ADSL modem in without the filter.

Have you got any other phone sockets in the house you can attempt to plug the cable into?
N/A

I've tried plugging the modem straight into the master socket with a normal modem line, but still no line signal showing on the modem.

I've also tried using the supplied modem cable through the filter, and have unplugged the phone (so only the modem cable is connected), but get the same results.

Should the modem show a line signal regardless of the modem/network settings, or will it only show a signal if installed correctly?

thanks

Steve
Community Veteran

Yes if your line is enabled and you have power on to the modem then the sync light should come on to show you that it is talking to the exchange.
If its not on then you have either a faulty modem or the line is not enabled.

Do you have a friend with ADSL working? If so can you try the modem on their line or their modem on your line.
?
N/A

Is it worthwhile for myself to talk to BT and confirm that the line is activated, or should I wait for plusnet to do their whoosh test?
Community Veteran

One way or the other you need confirmation that the line is activated for ADSL.
I'm not certain that the whoosh test will verify this as I think it only measures line loss etc.

Since your contract for supplying ADSL is with PlusNet then they should be the first point of contact and they can communicate with BT on your behalf.
So either ring support or post a link:Contact us ticket requesting that activation is confirmed.