cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No problems with broadband installation, bblog says I have!

N/A

Have installed my broadband modem yesterday (delyed by parcel force non delivery for a week) and everything seemed to go fine and have been able to connected without problems.

However, the bb_log created at the time say I need to use faultfinder because I haven't done the following (which I was never asked to):
:Check username & password...Not Done:
:Check Broadband start date...Not Done
:Check Broadband kit...Not Done
:Identify telephone sockets...Not Done
:Check for Type 2000 Faceplate...Not Done
:Identify telephone equipment & extensions...Not Done
:Install ADSL filters...Not Done
:Install driver software, if appropriate...Not Done

As everything seems to be okay should I just ignore?

Thanks Deborah
9 REPLIES
N/A

Hi Deborah,

That appears to be a post install check list only.

I would simply ignore it, especially as the connection is working as it should.

If any problems arise, post back and we'll have a look.
N/A

only difference is I'm constantly having to log in as a member on plus net site, which I didn't need to before

Hi Deborah,

Thats caused by a fault with the portal which Plus net are currently dealing with. its not caused by your modem you'll be happy to hear. Smiley

As for different USB ports. Yes. The modem should work on any of the ports. It may do a slight bit of configuaration when you plug it into the new port at first, but after that it will be fine.
N/A

No problems with broadband - but

Thanks for your reply.

The install disk did seem to skip a step but I asked windows to verify connection etc., and all seems to be okay (only difference is I'm constantly having to log in as a member on plus net site, which I didn't need to before)

I would like to change my connection set up as in fact the two cables aren't long enough to reach the usb ports at the back of my computer.

Do you know if I can connect via the either of the 2 usb posts I have at the front of my computer which I think are primarily intended for plugging in movable storage devices?

Will make all the difference and stop the cables being a health hazard that I trip over!

Thanks
N/A

As you can see. The portal is suffering a few bugs. it would appear that i magically managed to go back in time and post my reply before you had posted yours.

The wonders of technology eh Smiley
N/A

re. using modem through different usb port

hmm ... lets see if you can answer this one before you get it!

Is it best to totally uninstall modem.

unplug from current usb port.

reboot computer

then run the install cd again and connect modem in usb at front at the point at which the installation disk asks me to?

Thanks

Deborah
shellsong
Grafter

It doesn't usually make any difference which USB ports are used, they are all treated the same way by the OS no matter where they are

Gerry
N/A

The only difference between the USB ports on the front and rear of your case *could* be the speed at which they can handle data.
Often in the past, manufacturers would put USB 1.1 ports on the front, and USB 2.0 ports on the rear.
For this application (USB Modem use) the different speeds should make no difference - so don't worry about that.
For future reference though, things like digi camera's etc, you should always try to use 2.0 ports, so as a rule of thumb, its often better to use the rear ones if you can - you can always buy a little extension lead, and leave it plugged in, with the other end on your desk for times of need if its easier.
N/A

Extension leads

Hi

Had thought the easiest solution would be an extension lead, but I thought there was meant to be some sort of maximum length for modem extensions to achieve best results (or am I going back to far in the past to old 1444 kb dial ups)?!

If only I could find the original literature that came with my computer I could identify whether the porst are that different.

But thanks for that clue will check hardware set up.

Deborah
shellsong
Grafter

As sallyandjames pointed out USB 2.0 is much faster than the earlier variants having 480Mb/s raw data rate. There were two standards prior to USB 2.0 the first giving 1.5Mb/s and the second 12Mb/s and although the second would theoretically be OK for up to 8Mb/s ADSL hardware it is better to be safe than sorry and use USB 2.0 (if you must use a USB modem that is!)