cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No dial tone when connecting via Voyager USB

N/A

Got all the kit and have wired it up as per instructions - but when I click dial on the Voyager Modem Control Panel it comes up with an error 680 - No dial tone.

Any ideas?
10 REPLIES
N/A

IHi there,

Resolution attempt No 1

If the modem installation seems successful and your link / synch / adsl light is lit and steady on your modem but are still receiving the error message- 680: No dial tone, then:

If you have an internal 56k modem please disable the modem as follows

Right click on the My Computer Icon on your desktop and then select Properties
If you have a Device Manager tab along the top select this, otherwise select the Hardware tab along the top and then click on the Device Manager button
In the Device Manager click on the + sign on the Modem selection and then...
Identify and right click your modem icon and select Disable / Properties and then Disable in this Hardware Profile
After you have completed this, close down the Device Manager and then restart your computer and try to reconnect to the Broadband connection.
N/A

The power light on modem is on, but no Link light....otherwise installation seems to have been successful...

Any ideas?
N/A

Hi,

Are all telephone extensions and Sky Box's filtered including your modem connection?
N/A

We have the phone line in the kitchen with an extension to the lounge where the PC and modem are...

The splitter is on the end of the extension in the lounge....

We have one other phone line upstairs which also has the splitter in it.

No Sky box plugged in...

Thanks so much for your help!!
N/A

Sounds to me like dodgy wiring or filters or an incorrect setup.

It may be worth disconnecting all other phones in the house and trying the ADSL connection on its own. It might be worth swaping the filters round aswell.

I know it may be a pain but in the event of having to raise a support ticket you will have to try the modem at the master socket with everything else unplugged.

Try the above and post back to let us know how you get on.
N/A

For further guidance see this tutorial.

it might just cover your particular issue.
N/A

Mark,

Its actually my parents that have the system, I'm their daughter and as they're technophobes I'm trying to help.

Asked Dad to phone PN support line which he did...

Now - the activation date for the ADSL is actually Monday 13th June...(originally quoted for today) but he got a phone call yesterday from BT saying that they'd done all the necessary work on the line and it would now support ADSL. When he got his modem today we thought it would probably work....I guess not!!

When he phoned the support line they didn't even bother checking the wiring etc, they just said that of course he wouldn't get a dial tone because his account wasn't activated yet. They said to leave everything wired in, and on Monday the DSL/Link light will magically light and everything will be fine....

Can you confirm this is the case?

Also, does the splitter need to go into the main phone line and not an extension? If this is the case, we have a problem because (a) the LAN cable that goes from the modem to the splitter is about 1m long and nowhere near long enough as the actual main phone socket is in a different route. Splitter currently plugged into extension lead from main phone line - this sounds a bit suspect to me - is this OK?

Thanks for your help,
N/A

Hi there,

1st, if Plus Net say you are not activated then I would take that as being the case. What does the ticket say about ADSL commit date as opposed to active date? The former is generally a day or so before Plus Nets stated date.

If you follow the link I gave, you will see a diagram depicting your set up as I understand it. If your are connected as per that diagram then you should be fine.

We''l get it sorted in the end Wink
N/A

Thanks Mark - I just would have thought activated or not we would still have received a dial tone.....

We'll wait til Monday then - the commit date, with activation due on Tuesday after 12.

No chance of an early activation?! Or am I pushing my luck!!

Thanks again,
N/A

You will not have a dial tone with adsl. That is just an error message which is a throw back from old dial up modem days. Your ordinary phones will have a dial tone but adsl will not.

In this case, for dial tone, read synch.