cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No caller display since ADSL

N/A

No caller display since ADSL

Since I have had ADSL activated a few months ago, my mobile phone shows only "private number" when someone calls from my home. Before this it would always show "home" on the caller display, I have tried a different phone and network but this is also the same.

Anyone else experience this or know of a cure?

cheers doozer
12 REPLIES
N/A

RE: No caller display since ADSL

> Since I have had ADSL activated a few months ago, my mobile phone shows only "private number" when someone calls from my home. Before this it would always show "home" on the caller display, I have tried a different phone and network but this is also the same.
>
> Anyone else experience this or know of a cure?
Hi there,
ADSL is incompatible with Caller Display, BT may have disabled it in order for your ADSL application to pass the line checks.
The two applications use similar parts of the phone signal, hence they can't run concurrently.
Regards,
Mike
--
| Mike Grice....................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support.....................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd.........@ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
Community Veteran

> > Since I have had ADSL activated a few months ago, my mobile phone shows only "private number" when someone calls from my home. Before this it would always show "home" on the caller display, I have tried a different phone and network but this is also the same.
> >
> > Anyone else experience this or know of a cure?
>
> Hi there,
>
> ADSL is incompatible with Caller Display, BT may have disabled it in order for your ADSL application to pass the line checks.
>
> The two applications use similar parts of the phone signal, hence they can't run concurrently.
>
> Regards,
> Mike
>
> --
> | Mike Grice....................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
> | Technical Support.....................for Home & Business
> | PlusNet Technologies Ltd.........@ http://www.plus.net
> + ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----

I have to dissagree with you here Mike.
I have ADSL and Caller display which work ok together.
If I call my mobile or one of my friends then it still displays who is calling.
My cheap BT caller display here still shows the incoming call correctly.

The only difficulty I have is with my CTT1000 telephone which does not show the display but only if my Router is turned on.
If I turn the router off then its fine.

So it looks like it depends on just what equipment you have. Some work ok others dont?
--
Regards
John
http://www.hmrg.co.uk
N/A

> I have to dissagree with you here Mike.
> I have ADSL and Caller display which work ok together.
> If I call my mobile or one of my friends then it still displays who is calling.
> My cheap BT caller display here still shows the incoming call correctly.
>
> The only difficulty I have is with my CTT1000 telephone which does not show the display but only if my Router is turned on.
> If I turn the router off then its fine.
>
> So it looks like it depends on just what equipment you have. Some work ok others dont?
Hi there,
I said what I said above because BT told us this is the case :-)
If you check the list of compatible/incompatible products with ADSL, caller display is listed as incompatible. I'm assuming that it *may* work, but BT woudn't guarantee it, hence they list it as incompatible.
Regards,
Mike
--
Community Veteran

> > I have to dissagree with you here Mike.
> > I have ADSL and Caller display which work ok together.
> > If I call my mobile or one of my friends then it still displays who is calling.
> > My cheap BT caller display here still shows the incoming call correctly.
> >
> > The only difficulty I have is with my CTT1000 telephone which does not show the display but only if my Router is turned on.
> > If I turn the router off then its fine.
> >
> > So it looks like it depends on just what equipment you have. Some work ok others dont?
>
> Hi there,
>
> I said what I said above because BT told us this is the case :-)
>
> If you check the list of compatible/incompatible products with ADSL, caller display is listed as incompatible. I'm assuming that it *may* work, but BT woudn't guarantee it, hence they list it as incompatible.
>
> Regards,
> Mike
>
> --
> | Mike Grice....................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
> | Technical Support.....................for Home & Business
> | PlusNet Technologies Ltd.........@ http://www.plus.net
> + ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----

Here is a copy and paste from the BT website.
----------------------------------------------
Call Waiting, Call Return and Caller Display services will work normally with your broadband service.
However, some Caller Display equipment (Caller Display CD50 on engineer assisted products and Caller Display CD1500 on Home 500 Plug & Go product are known incompatibilities) may interfere with the ADSL bandwidth
-----------------------------------------------
So as said earlier, it depends what equipment you have.
--
Regards
John
http://www.hmrg.co.uk
N/A

-snip-
> So as said earlier, it depends what equipment you have.
Fair enough. I was going on mental recall of the list BT sent us when we first started offering Self-Install...
Regards,
Mike
--
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I can assure you that the BT Cli (Callers Line Identification) sending service does indeed send correctly in Broadband, it is part of my job to test callers Cli received, and have tested this with my own home connection and can confirm the Cli was received correctly.

> > > I have to dissagree with you here Mike.
> > > I have ADSL and Caller display which work ok together.
> > > If I call my mobile or one of my friends then it still displays who is calling.
> > > My cheap BT caller display here still shows the incoming call correctly.
> > >
> > > The only difficulty I have is with my CTT1000 telephone which does not show the display but only if my Router is turned on.
> > > If I turn the router off then its fine.
> > >
> > > So it looks like it depends on just what equipment you have. Some work ok others dont?
> >
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I said what I said above because BT told us this is the case :-)
> >
> > If you check the list of compatible/incompatible products with ADSL, caller display is listed as incompatible. I'm assuming that it *may* work, but BT woudn't guarantee it, hence they list it as incompatible.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Mike
> >
> > --
> > | Mike Grice....................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
> > | Technical Support.....................for Home & Business
> > | PlusNet Technologies Ltd.........@ http://www.plus.net
> > + ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
>
> Here is a copy and paste from the BT website.
> ----------------------------------------------
> Call Waiting, Call Return and Caller Display services will work normally with your broadband service.
> However, some Caller Display equipment (Caller Display CD50 on engineer assisted products and Caller Display CD1500 on Home 500 Plug & Go product are known incompatibilities) may interfere with the ADSL bandwidth
> -----------------------------------------------
> So as said earlier, it depends what equipment you have.
>
> --
> Regards
> John
> http://www.hmrg.co.uk

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
N/A

This issues is suround CLI sending, not receiving.

The equipemnt involved for this, is after the DSLAM, and thus would never be of issue.

When it comes to receiving the CLI details, it is usualy becase they are filtered out, and not because the details are not sent.
N/A

Strange, my outgoing CLI is working fine, as is my employer's on the ADSL lines.

regards

Roy

> This issues is suround CLI sending, not receiving.
>
> The equipemnt involved for this, is after the DSLAM, and thus would never be of issue.
>
> When it comes to receiving the CLI details, it is usualy becase they are filtered out, and not because the details are not sent.

N/A

My Caller Display on my Panosonic Digital DECT (KX-TCD735) waklie talkie phone and base unit (2 id read outs) £129 from Argos and the seperate Talking Box i bought from www.innovations.co.uk both works fine while im on ADSL.

Just some equipment seems not to work.
I know i did try the old Caller ID 50 from Binatone, and it doesn't work now.

LOL this thread is too long!
--
Jason
=====
N/A

Thanks guys, looks like I'm piggy in the middle then, great answers but no solution, never mind the only call from home would be the missus anyway ;-) LOL

doozer

> Since I have had ADSL activated a few months ago, my mobile phone shows only "private number" when someone calls from my home. Before this it would always show "home" on the caller display, I have tried a different phone and network but this is also the same.
>
> Anyone else experience this or know of a cure?
>
> cheers doozer

N/A

CLI *sending* is not initiated from your terminating equipment (phones, faxes, burglar alarms etc.). It is a function of your local telephone exchange (the concentrators being the first equipment to handle the routing of your call).

If you've lost CLI sending at the same time as you switched over to ADSL, I reckon it's a fault within BT, and some aspect of your account has been meddled with inappropriately.

IIRC, you can use 1470 to toggle your CLI disclosure - try ringing your own mobile with 1470 as a prefix. This could, of course, be complete b*ll*cks, but it's worth a try.
N/A

I was having the same problem with Caller Display since ADSL was activated on my line, and I was told by BT that it's not supported. However, I saw an article on ADSL Guide (www.adslguide.org.uk) last week about a 'professional' microfilter which is supposed to work with Caller Display. It's sold by ADSL Nation (www.adslnation.com/products/xf-1e.php) and they offer (at the moment) a 30 day money back guarantee if it doesn't work. I got mine today and it works ! You don't need to replace all your microfilters, only those which have phones plugged into them whose Caller Display isn't working. If you buy one, I suggest that you tell the forum whether it solves the problem - maybe PlusNet should be informed of this ?