cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No ADSL signal detected, been fine for past year. Help!

N/A

I've had 1mb Plusnet ADSL, with a Vigor 2600G router running perfectly for the past year.

24 hours ago, I lost all connection to Plusnet. My home LAN is fine, I can talk to all pc's on the router both wired and wireless. The router reports that the internal ASDSL modem is in the "ready" state - which means "No ADSL signal detected" (the next steps being initialisation and then Showtime). I have not raised a ticket as it is suggested that this is not an ISP issue and I do not want to risk a £50 call out charge. Plusnet reports ADSL connection status as fine, BT report my exchange as fine.

The phone line appears to work fine, I have rebooted/depowered the router, and tried without the ADSL filter.

I have no other modem to test the line with. Any suggestions?
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Have you tried connecting the router to the master socket?

Have you also tried disconnecting all phones and filters in the house?

If it is an exchange sync problem raise a ticket and ask plusnet to perform a woosh test which will verify your connection is OK. If it reports a fault then it will be passed to BT.

You have to go through plusnet to report any line or sync faults.
N/A

Hey thanks for getting back (didn't expect anything till tomorrow at the earliest!)

Will try the master socket when I get home from work.

There are no phones or filters attached to the line at all, apart from the filter for the router.

Whoosh test - good to know something can be tested before getting BT out.

I spoke to plusnet over the phone earlier tonight, and the tech guy said it appeared as though I was currently connected - I was/am at work, so I can not verify (I left the router on so its possible its has connected, although I believe not as I can not talk to it from work as I normally can). Could he have been confused with the fact I was logged into plusnet website from work?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

if its showing as connected to PN then unplug the router from the phone socket for about 30 mins, that will force the inline card at your exchange to See you are infact disconnected. So unplug and have a second breakfast and try again later.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

Ok back home and have now established that this was not a Plusnet problem, and have solved it.

Did not work in master socket, but shortly afterwards normal phone dial tone was lost. Removed the master socket, rewired and crimped and I've got everything back working.

Thanks for the advice to test different sockets!
N/A

At last.. someone who's actually checked out their own wiring / equipment rather than jumping straight for BT's/Pn's throat !
N/A

Well to be fair this was actually a wiring fault inside the BT socket, which I presume is a BT error, or possibly a previous tenant of my flat.

Actually, I'm guessing previous tennant, as the master socket was wired incorrectly. They had the A and B master wires crimped directly onto the removable lower panel crimp area - which should be reserved for extensions. The had bypassed the A and B wiring points which meant they had also bypassed the sockets surge protector and the bit that deals with ringing that you only get in a master socket. Not good really.