cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No ADSL for 7 days. Noone taking responsibility, any ideas?

N/A

My connection had gone when i arrived home from work last Monday. I have not had broadband since. The ADSL light is out. I have tried 4 different routers and all show the same, none can get an adsl connection. I have swapped filters and tried a different cable. Nothing. I have unplugged everything else and just tried the router , nothing. BT have tested the line, no faults. Plusnet told me to go back to BT. BT told me to go back to my ISP. I am metres from the exchange apparently so no problem with that side of things.

This happened without anything changing as far as I am concerned. I have noticed one thing, when I swith the broadband router on it causes noise on the line (whichever router I use).

Cannot get this resolved with Plusnet or BT, I am seriously unimpressed.

Any advice or assistance greatly received.

Steve
17 REPLIES
Community Veteran

BT problem but needs to be raised through PN.
Community Veteran

Yes if your phone line is ok for calls and its just your ADSL thats died then PlusNet are the people who you have a contract with and its their respnsibility to get it sorted by dealing with BT. Evil
So don't be fobbed off and insist that they take it onboard. Wink
N/A

Best of luck with that. I had the same problem and had to actually go down to the Plusnet call centre before anyone took me seriously. 5 Days offline, one visit to the call centre later, lo and behold the BT engineer magically appeared at the exchange and changed the card that I said needed changing 5 days ago.

It was up within 2 hours.

Plusnet really don't escalate issues BT as they should.
daviez
Grafter

Just had exactly the same - no ADSL for 9 days after a BT engineer swapped us onto another copper pair. All to try and get 1dB knocked off our attentuation so BT will let us have 2Mb.

6 days after the swap, another BT engineer tried to fix our ADSL problem at the exchange - and ended up leaving us without even a dial tone.

As of this afternoon, we are now back in service. And trying for a 2Mb manual regrade...
N/A

Offline for 2 days now. This never happened with cable, only ever been offline for a max of 3 hours with Telewest. Not impressed, I have only been on ADSL for 14 days.
N/A

Why on earth would you move to ADSL from telewest?!
N/A

I have recently bought a new house and my mortgage has increased significantly. Cable = £35pm PlusNet = £14.99pm. Makes sense to me.

Problem solved last night btw, looks like I was one of the lucky ones. Smiley
N/A

Given the choice I would have probably gone for just slower cable...
N/A

No cable in your area, I take it?
N/A

Yeah after being a cable customer for years I moved to an area that didnt get cable . After some comedy experiences with ADSL, whether they be the fault of Plusnets or BT I would categorically advise averyone to get cable if they could.
N/A

And I would categorically advise AGAINST cable, especially ntl:. The latency and upload speed are both horrible (certainly in the ntl: region I was in.) Also ntl: told absolute bald faced lies to me on the phone without flinching ("An engineer called but no-one was at home" (no he didn't, I watched the front door like a hawk for 12 hours), "Your broadband absolutely definitely will 100% certainly be active within 14 days" (6 weeks anyone?), "Yes we have DEFINITELY cancelled your account, you do not owe us any money, you will NOT receive any bills" (Cue red bills and debt collection letters))... yes I know everyone's had bad experiences but my ADSL experiences have been FAR, FAR better than cable. (and my 512k ADSL felt far snappier than the 1.5meg cable)

James
Community Veteran

I'd advise against NTL where possible, can't comment on telewest as I haven't had them. We had similar experiances with NTL to you.
N/A

Wll I cant comment on NTL, but I do beleive that is indicitave of their service.

Telewest however were brilliant. No contention whatsoever, on 2mb I got 2mb, none of this contention crap that makes my 2mb Plusnet crawl at 12 k/sec
N/A

As yet I haven't experienced any speed related issues, maybe 'cos I'm in the wilds of scotland. Wink