cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nightmare cancelling Plusnet

N/A

Been having a nightmare trying to cancel my sub despite emailing Plusnet to confirm I was giving the required notice, they still took an additional month's money AND insisted that an email cancellation was not good enough, but it had to be by post. When you search for long enough you can find this part hidden away on the site, but it takes a long time to find it. And they can obviously check that I haven't been using the service as well!
I would not recommend Plusnet to anyone - the most incredibly un-customer friendly company on the net.
Charente
16 REPLIES
N/A

Can I ask exactly what you found wrong, because as far as I can see, the normal process has been followed.

In the terms, it is made clear that cancellation requests should be made via link:contact us, and that a notice period of 30 days will follow.

During this 30 days, you are still liable for subscription charges due.
N/A

Unfortunately I don't agree, I cancelled this subscription by email as I could not find on your members centre, particularly under Moving my ADSL, any way of cancelling.

As you will be able to check I have not in fact used your service since 14 April 05, so obviously thought I had done the necessary.

I now am informed that hidden in the depths of your Legal section (not entitled T&C) is the method by which a cancellation should be processed, and this by snail mail - bizarre for an internet company.

But more particularly I do not believe that it is reasonable to expect a member to have to crawl though your entire site to find this, and then penalise me for not reading every page.

I feel extremely angry about your attitude and approach and you still owe me a month's subscription.

I guess it is all about your attitude to customer service, frankly it is not proving particularly good from this end.
Charente
Community Veteran

Philip is not a PlusNet employee and neither am I so its no good shouting at him.
Email is not the correct way to go about cancelling your account.
It has to done using either the link:Contact us system or by writing to them.

If you have done none of the above then they will not have got your message.
hitachi
Grafter

If you click on help at the top of the page cancellations are on the 1st page.
If you click on search at the top of the page and enter cancel it is on the 1st page. Not much of a crawl.
LiamM
Grafter

Failing that, the support centre number is at the bottom of every single page on the website. You could have easily given them a ring to request the cancellation, and they would have told you the procedure to follow. You would still have had to raise a link:Contact Us ticket, however, as cancellations must be in writing.

Who did you send the email to? Emailing support@plus.net will generate an auto-reply explaining the ticket procedure to you.

And Plusnet have all the cancellation info on the portal, and in the terms and conditions which you agreed to when you signed up, so I really don't see what was wrong.

You go and try cancelling an AOL account! The you'll have reason for complaint.
N/A

I am sorry to say I have not spend my time surfing Plus net's site to ensure I know every detail, nor do I (as you may have gathered) belong to their adoring fan club.

The customer service I have experienced remains appalling and frankly, they would be the last service I would recommend to anyone normal and not computer-centric.

Charente
LiamM
Grafter

If you want to Cancel a service, then it is up to you to "surf the website" and find out how. You cannot just think "Oh, I don't want this any more" and send off a random email. There are procedures in place which need to be followed.

These procedures exist to improve Customer Service and efficiency.

The most obvious thing to do would be to ring them and ask them to leave. The Customer Support staff would have been able to help you in this case. If you sent them an email, you would have received an autoreply asking you to raise a ticket.

As for the Fan Club comment, a member of wihch I certainly am not. Check out the Business User thread in the Customer Feedback forum for examples of where Plusnet Customer Services are slipping up hugely, however, in this case, Plusnet are in the right in my opinion I am afraid

If you want to cancel your BT phone line, or a Mobile Phone, or your Sky subscription or anyting like that, you need to give notice, and you need to contact them to that effect to find out the procedure. It's the same here, and the procedure is clear in the Self-Help section, and the Telephone Number at the bottom of every page.
N/A

The customer service of this team is unreal as there super fast in responding and very helpful. Best isp out there by far but fast speeds and customer surport.
FireStorm
Grafter

Dont Pay

You should never need to write to confirm cancelation unless it is stated in the contract. If you have given them enough notice i would simply refuse to pay. You will soon be turned off.
LiamM
Grafter

It is stated in the contract.

Refusing to pay, or cancelling your Direct Debit will only lead to more problems as you are with-holding payment for a service you have not cancelled.
N/A

You should never need to write to confirm cancelation unless it is stated in the contract

I agree, however, this is not the case here.

Ther process of cancelation is outlines in the T&C documents. Following the advised steps will produce a quick outcome to the process of cancelation.

The problem the OP was having here, was making this initial cancelation request.

PlusNet can't exactly be held responsible for somebody not following the information provided.
Community Veteran

Re: Dont Pay

You should never need to write to confirm cancelation unless it is stated in the contract.

It does state in the terms and conditions:

22 How to give notice

22.1 Any party wishing to give notice to the other under this Contract must use one of the following mechanisms. No other form of communication will be accepted, unless specifically stated otherwise in this agreement
(a) To us: at the appropriate website using the Contact Us tool or in writing sent by recorded delivery.
(b) To you: at the appropriate website using the Contact Us tool or email to the address provided to you as part of the service.

22.2 You are responsible for checking for email sent to the email address provided to you as part of the service.

@charente

I now am informed that hidden in the depths of your Legal section (not entitled T&C) is the method by which a cancellation should be processed, and this by snail mail - bizarre for an internet company.

1) You will find that the legal page is entitiled "General Terms & Conditions for PlusNet Services
2) You can also give your notice via contact us

Only for PN cancelling does it mention e-mail.
FireStorm
Grafter

Yes it certanly does say this in the T&C. I also agree refusing to pay does create problems, however if the correct procedure has been followed and companys drag their feet then i am the kind of person who refuses to pay.

I Honestly have never had a problem with PlusNet, they have always been very helpful when i have contacted them. I am sure it will all come good in the wash.. Trator! :-p
LiamM
Grafter

OK. Therefore I agree with you in that context. I once had to cancel a contract with a company. I gave them the statutory 30 day notice period, but they kept trying to fob me off. In the end I cancelled my Direct Debit and I didnt hear from them back, because if they'd wanted to take it further, they wouldn't have had a leg to stand on.

However, if you tried cancelling Plusnet by email, and just cancelled your Direct Debit, then Plusnet would be well within their rights to reclaim money through the courts.