cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newsgroup Access

N/A

Newsgroup Access

Hiya

I've tried a variety of days and times to connect to a non plusnet newsgroup, but haven't managed to get 'in' since the first time.

I queried it with the support team a few weeks ago and was referred to the status page, which meant nothing as I wasn't using plusnets' servers.

As far as I can tell port 119 (the newsgroup port) was being blocked.

I have a way round this problem but would like to get it resolved if possible. The newsgroup I am connecting to does not have any binaries, is a private server and system and is relatively new.

The work around I have Cool :lol: is connecting to a friends' server on a different port which he has forwarded to his 119 and we both connect to this private server from his. It works.

Access software has been tried with Ameol and Thunderbird.

Is there anything else you can help or suggest for me?

Thanks
10 REPLIES
mherbert
Grafter

Newsgroup Access

Have you checked the Firewall settings on your PlusNet account?

https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=firewall

If it's set too high it can block NNTP (Newsgroup) access.
N/A

Newsgroup Access

Have you checked the Firewall settings on your PlusNet account?

https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=firewall

If it's set too high it can block NNTP (Newsgroup) access.

It is set to "off".

We already have a firewall here. It's called a "Router" Cheesy Cheesy

I've gone through a lot of settings and it's not made much difference IMHO Cry
N/A

Newsgroup Access

Not much help to you I'm afraid but I also connect to a non public nntp server (no passwords just not advertised)
It is working fine, so whatever is causing you problems is not Plusnet general its either specific to your router, news server or account.

Cheers

Alistair
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Newsgroup Access

Hi,

Looks like the reason for this is because of the account type that you are on, see point 6.2.1 of the AUP here:

http://www.plus.net/info2/legal/index.html

The best thing to do would probably be to switch to one of the newer BBYW accounts we offer.
Community Veteran

Newsgroup Access

6.2.1 Does not make sense?
6.2.1 Any time or date stated for delivery is an estimate only. We will make every effort to dispatch Equipment on time, but we will not accept liability for failure to deliver within the stated time.

I guess you mean this 6.2.1;
6.2.1 Broadband Surf products prohibit the use of file sharing (peer-2-peer) applications or access to any USENET service other than the text feed offered by us. We will actively block such applications and any new applications or services of similar purpose.

Chilly
Community Veteran

Newsgroup Access

Dave did say the AUP Chilly....
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Newsgroup Access

The work around I have Cool :lol: is connecting to a friends' server on a different port which he has forwarded to his 119 and we both connect to this private server from his. It works.

You discover a work around and you mention it on the official PN forum? Are you mad?

They'll choke it pretty quick now you've mentioned it.

TIP: NEVER post things like that here. Pass email address's instead and let members contact you privately for answers (you'll get to know who are PN's close untrustable friends after a few days here).

Next thing I know you'll be posting tips about base64...
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
p_w_d_stone
Grafter

Re: Newsgroup Access

TIP: NEVER post things like that here. Pass email address's instead and let members contact you privately for answers (you'll get to know who are PN's close untrustable friends after a few days here).

That'd be me then. Does there really have to be a "them" and "us" element to the community, I agree PlusNet have played a bit fast and loose with rule changes in the past, but it's in the interest of the community as a whole that a small minority of users don't utilise the vast majority of the bandwidth.

If you disagree with the way that PlusNet are achieving this perhaps you'd like to suggest constructive alternatives?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Newsgroup Access

No that wasn't aimed at you at all but there are others. Though I will admit I do think you are a bit close to being in PN's pocket.

Yes I do agree that PN need to take action against the few that take the mick and hog the network resources all the time. I just don't think they should target ALL to achieve this.

They know who the real heavy users are, yet the rest of us suffer.

Thats my point.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Highlighted
p_w_d_stone
Grafter

Newsgroup Access

No that wasn't aimed at you at all but there are others. Though I will admit I do think you are a bit close to being in PN's pocket.

Well, PlusNet know where I live, I accept cash, cheque and postal orders.

Yes I do agree that PN need to take action against the few that take the mick and hog the network resources all the time. I just don't think they should target ALL to achieve this.

They know who the real heavy users are, yet the rest of us suffer.

Thats my point.

Something I'd not only accept but completely support. There's no reason why those people who download the odd Linux ISO, package or update should be treated in the same way as those who are constantly file-sharing.

I suspect if you ask privately asked most PlusNet staff you'd find agreement as well, but actually putting adaptive shaping into practice is probably more complicated than practically possible.