cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NewsGroup Cap?

N/A

NewsGroup Cap?

Hi, started downloading during peak time at nearly 600kbs but after a 15 minutes the speed levelled out at 15kbs - does this mean i am being capped because of peak time and that after midnight the speed will increase?

Additional info: if i go to a website and download a service pack e.g. XP Sp1 i get a steady 595kbs.

Thanks for any help.
18 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 6

NewsGroup Cap?

http downloads are (for some really strange and pathetic reason) more reliable than p2p or any other form of file transfer.

Newsgroups are a bit shaky at the moment. I use 2 - 1 is fine (borland.com) and the other (atozed.com) takes forever to connect to and download messages. I've contacted their newsgroup server's admin (I know him on skype as I'm the main webmaster for the Indy project - which he is a programmer for) and he has clearly said that they do not have any other reports of slow connections and that after extensive testing they beleive it's my ISP using some form of blocking against their domain/IP range.

Basically PN suck.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

NewsGroup Cap?

Shocking, still no PN comments?
N/A

A reply of sorts

I asked PN for their comments and this is what I had:-

"External newsgroups are not given a high priority in our traffic management system, so you may expect to see reduced speeds, particularly at busy times - which will not necessarily match our definition of peak time ie. 4pm - midnight.
This Premier account does give a much higher suggested usage allowance than our cheaper accounts, as well as the advanced webspace and domain hosting facilities."

A reply worthy of a politician - I wonder how PN stands legally stating peak times are "4 til midnight" but then saying "may not match that definition".

If you are put on 128kbs punishment rule perhaps we can say that "our definition of usage may not necessarily match that for which i signed up".
Whats good for the goose....and all that.

Anything less than premier means that PN is not worth signing up to if you want to use newsgroups.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

NewsGroup Cap?

Usenet traffic does get a lower priority on the network so when the network is busy the speeds on usenet are reduced, that's how the management on the network is designed to work. Bandwidth is finite so the network gives the highest priority to interactive traffic so as the network gets busier the speeds on the non-interactive traffic will be reduced then as it gets quieter the capacity is available for use by P2P and Usenet.

We've added another 155Mbps of capacity today to give an improvement to Premier customers after adding 310Mbps last week to increase the number of sessions and improve the performance on Broadband Plus. It'll probably take a day or two for the network to balance out, there's about 900 customers connected on each tunnel on the new 155Mbps segment but about 2,000 on each of the others
Community Veteran

NewsGroup Cap?

dt,

How is it then, that when I connect to borland.com's newsgroups I get normal speed BUT when I connect to atozed.com's newsgroup server it crawls at p2p speed?

Atozed.com's newsgroup operator (who I know on Skype) has personally told me that I am the only user having problems.

Now dt, once and for all would you kindly tell me if you are blocking atozed.com, it's IP range or it's subnetHuh

Like I said, borland.com's newsgroup servers are fine.

A REAL explanation would be grand. Not more spin..
Community Veteran

NewsGroup Cap?

Screenshot

As you can see, i use borlands newsgroups with no problems. Atozed.com say it isn't their server so whats going on PN?

[Moderator's note by chillypenguin: Oversized image changed to a link, as it was stretching the forum.]
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

NewsGroup Cap?

Now dt, once and for all would you kindly tell me if you are blocking atozed.com, it's IP range or it's subnetHuh

Like I said, borland.com's newsgroup servers are fine.

A REAL explanation would be grand. Not more spin..

Borland's groups I know are text only and are included in the gold text only group. atozed.com I don't know, I've not heard of it before. Does it carry any binary groups? If not we should be able to add this to the gold group as well otherwise it will be classed the same as binary providers like Easynews.
Community Veteran

NewsGroup Cap?

I don't know about the binary issue. All i know is it's a small software company that appears to be text only like borland. All I want to do is post and read replies about Indy socket programming - if that isn't too much to ask..

Many thanks
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

NewsGroup Cap?

Looks text only to me, I've sent a ticket on your behalf to the network guys to see if we can add it to the gold text only bundle.
Community Veteran

NewsGroup Cap?

Just to update you the nntp server address is:

news.atozedsoftware.com

Although their main site is actually atozed.com they use atozedsoftware along with it for various things.

Thanks dt
Community Veteran

NewsGroup Cap?

Any update on thisHuh
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

NewsGroup Cap?

Not yet, changes like this are usually collated together and reviewed once a week.
Community Veteran

NewsGroup Cap?

Not yet, changes like this are usually collated together and reviewed once a week.

Still nothing to write home about.

Any chance this might actually happen sometime soonHuh
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

NewsGroup Cap?

It's been added to the list for review, will check up tomorrow on the state of play.