cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newcomer to broadband - what should he go for?

N/A

Hello,

I showed off my shiny new (to me) 1Mbs PlusNet connection to my son today and now he wants one Smiley

He has a single (no network) Apple iMac situated right next to the BT master linebox and would like a nice and simple way into broadband. Would you recommend a PlusNet-supplied 'Broadband ADSL Starter Pack' or should he supply his own hardware and, if so, what would anyone recommend?

If he were to go for the starter pack, 'with everything you need delivered straight to your door', does that include a filter/splitter?

(Not knowing much about it, I chose to provide my own hardware and use a 3Com ADSL Wireless 11g Firewall Router 3CRWE754G72 plugged into a 'Dual ADSL/Voice socketed outlet wall box' hard wired via a 15m cable into a 'MODIFIED BT ADSL Filter/Splitter Faceplate for NTE5 Master boxes' all, apart from router (from Simply Computers) supplied by Clarity - seems very neat, thanks Clarity :!: )

Sorry to ask such basic questions which must have been answered a squillion times in these forums but I've stumbled around ineffectually looking for the answers Shockedops:

Most grateful for any (helpful!) advice,
Tim
6 REPLIES
N/A

Re: Newcomer to broadband - what should he go for?

If he were to go for the starter pack, 'with everything you need delivered straight to your door', does that include a filter/splitter?

Yes it would, obviously his line would have to be tested first to make sure it can support ADSL. The starter pack is good, but I would recommend buying some decent filters. I think the pack comes with two but in my experience they're not the best.

Aaron
Community Veteran

One question that comes to mind is does the BT voyager 105 which is a USB modem actually work with an IMac - i.e. does the modem come with drivers for the iMac - i'm not sure it does.

The difficulty is that the iMac does not have a network port (are you sure about this as I though all iMacs come with one). If it does not then I'm not sure what modem will work with it.
N/A

I am clueless about Macs, so if an "iMac" is something different to a "Mac", do everyone a favour and just delete this post please Peter, but ....

The front cover of the little purple "Voyager 105 USB Quick start guide & CD" folder that arrived with mine says (amongst other things):
Minimum requirements:
MAC: G3 Processor 300 MHz
and
Operating systems supported:
Mac OS 9.X, 10.1, 10.2 and 10.3

Hope that helps.
N/A

Thank you everyone that's been most useful Smiley

I think that the 105 modem must be OK with an iMac simply because there is a 'Voyager 105 USB Modem - Quickstart Guide for Apple Mac' on the PlusNet support. pages.

I'm sure it must have a network port, what I meant was that he only has the one computer so he has no extra network connections to worry about... sorry I wasn't clear.

but I would recommend buying some decent filters

Any in particular (in my very limited experience I would favour going to Clarity)?

Thanks again,
Tim
N/A

I am not technical but if it helps
I run a iMac 1ghz running OS10.3.6.
I use a netgear moden/router. from this i run a imac, ibook and a pc. Certainly didn't need any drivers for mac's. connects on ethernet connection.

So simple to set up and get running.
Definitely recommend this setup

Andrew
N/A

Thanks Smiley