cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie questions

N/A

Newbie questions

Hi

I'm thinking of joining up for broadband and am trying to understand everything. Please could you tell me if PN has optional or forced cache and is the ip a public or private NAT?

Also continuing to sound thick...I have an ethernet connection on the back of my puter, but where do I check that I have a network card? It also says somewhere on this site that the telephone socket should be within 3 metres of the modem & computer as that is the standard length of the cable. Can a longer one be used?

Thinking of getting the router as I have a couple of computers and it sounds easier to set up. Is the one from PN ok?

Thanks for your help.

Andie
10 REPLIES
N/A

Newbie questions

If you have an ethernet connection then you definatly have a network card (though this may be built into your motherboard etc). As for the 3 meter rule its more of a guide line than. I personally run a phone extionsion 20 meters from my master socket to my router. This works well for me though some people I hear have problems with setups like that.

As for what kind of router to get sure PN will do ok though again its all down to personal choice, if you just want to plug in then forget about it then you dont have to worry. If you want specific features (such as built in IPsec firewalls etc..) then you might want to get your own one.
Alecto
Grafter

Newbie questions

Hello Andie

I inadvertently found an ethernet connection on the back of my computer, and knowing nothing at all about these things, went for PN's router (single user version, though, as I've only the one computer) since research showed that routers are better than USB modems.

It installed first time following the instructions supplied, the SAR130 users website provided instructions on stealthing it and I've had no trouble with it at all. No reason to believe the multiple version will be any different.

Plus if you have problems, it's all down to PN and they can't pass you on to somebody else.

You might save a few pounds by sourcing your own, but why bother?
If you needed something special, you wouldn't be asking the question.

:roll:
N/A

Newbie questions

Plus if you have problems, it's all down to PN and they can't pass you on to somebody else.

i beg to differ , its not a plusnet product its a solwise product and they are more than willing to pass any errors onto them and not help you at all, and thus the reason i hate the PN support and the router they gave me (a solwise sar110) , so dont ever think that the PN support will help you.. they are after all monkies (well the phone staff are.. and they are the ones you will be needing if your net dont work after all)

you best chance if something does go wrong is
1) www.google.com
2) the makers website (note this is SECOND on the list)
3) the PN forum where others may be able to help you
4) the PN ticket system
5-1000000000000000 ) hitting the hardware with a stick
1000000000000001) Phone plusnet support *shudder* do this at your own risk and you may need a second phone as you could end up breakin the first out of frustration.
Alecto
Grafter

Newbie questions

Hmm. I see. So much for the sale of goods act.

I can't comment on what you say as I've never needed to contact PN about the router.

You forgot to add prayer and writing to Tony Blair to your list of solutions.
Community Veteran

Newbie questions

I think the PlusNet supplied router is a single port device so if you are going to connect more than one PC you would also need a hub or use internet connection sharing. Cry

You would be far better off purchasing your own 4 port router D-Link or Netgear for example (see ADSLguide) for write ups on various brands. Wink
csogilvie
Grafter

Newbie questions

You can get a 1 and 4 port router from PlusNet...
N/A

Newbie questions

Thanks everyone for your replies. Maybe I should just stick with just setting up one computer on adsl for now till I'm sure of what I'm doing! gpattison..stealthing it!..oh dear, that is something I will have to look up. I was hoping it would be a case of just plugging it into the ethernet hole I found, telephone socket, a bit of set up instructions on the screen and away I go! Will have to look at the ADSL guide for which is the easiest to set up, thanks johnessex.

Does anyone know about whether the connection is a Private Nat one or Public and if the cache is optional or forced? I've read somewhere that NAT can conflict with some software and that forced cache is bad.

Thanks very much.

Andie x
Alecto
Grafter

Newbie questions

Oops!
Sorry if I gave the impression I knew what I was doing Andie.
I just followed the installation instructions theat PN sent me, and asked on the forum what I needed to do to stop idiots taking over my computer since ADSL is connected all the time.
The answer appeared to be "stealth your router" along with instructions on how to do that as well.
Didn't have a clue what I was doing, but followed the instructions word for word and so far everything has been rosy.

N/A

Newbie questions

Thanks gpattison! Sounded very technical! But if you didn't know what you were doing and got there in the end then I guess I might be as lucky! Cheesy

Now just have to find out about this NAT and cache business! Anyone know what PN has?

Best Wishes

Andie
Alecto
Grafter

Newbie questions

You've got me worried now.
I've never heard of NATs and caches and my ADSL works just fine.
Perhaps if I'd found out about them first, I'd have had more problems.