cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie question - re WiFi/routers etc

canary2211
Grafter

Have I got this right? (Sorry I am a newbie to all this!)

1) If I use a ADSL router/modem (eg Netgear), I can connect 2mbps broadband to a permanent desktop via a USB lead, and 2 laptops via wireless cards ?

(all use Windows XP home or professional)

2) the modem/router is permanently on and the desktop/laptops are on whenever they are needed. ie providing the router has its own power source the host desktop doesn't need to be switched on for the laptops to connect to broadband?

3) I probably do not need a real local network - although sometimes it might be helpful to print from a laptop to the printer connected to the desktop. Obviously the desktop must be on for this, but would I need to create a network ?

4) Will a laptop in an upstairs bedroom connect reasonably well if the router is in a downstairs room, through 3 walls or so?

thanks for your help!
3 REPLIES
N/A

Re: Newbie question - re WiFi/routers etc

Others may correct me - but I'd say -

1) Desktop via ethernet and laptops by wireless ( although ethernet is less troublesome if it's an option).
2) The modem/router is independant of the 'clients' it 'feeds'. Any or all of them can be on or off and the others will still work.
3) Depends on how you define real network. You will have a real network (peer to peer) given that you enable the correct services and protocols. I have a print server on my network. The printers aren't attached to any computer and only the computer I'm printing from needs to be on.
4) My router is in the loft (my 'office') I'm on the ground floor using my laptop wirelessly - no probs.

HTH
Community Veteran

Go with a router, its far less hasle than trying to use a USB modem and internet connection sharing.

Worth the extra cash in the long term.

Chilly
Gel
Pro
Fixes: 10

Re: Newbie question - re WiFi/routers etc

heck out
http://www.binatonebroadband.com/

Tongue
Have I got this right? (Sorry I am a newbie to all this!)

1) If I use a ADSL router/modem (eg Netgear), I can connect 2mbps broadband to a permanent desktop via a USB lead, and 2 laptops via wireless cards ?

(all use Windows XP home or professional)

2) the modem/router is permanently on and the desktop/laptops are on whenever they are needed. ie providing the router has its own power source the host desktop doesn't need to be switched on for the laptops to connect to broadband?

3) I probably do not need a real local network - although sometimes it might be helpful to print from a laptop to the printer connected to the desktop. Obviously the desktop must be on for this, but would I need to create a network ?

4) Will a laptop in an upstairs bedroom connect reasonably well if the router is in a downstairs room, through 3 walls or so?

thanks for your help!