Community Veteran

Newbie are these values any good?

Great figures showing a good line Cheesy
N/A

How do u find that info out?
N/A

It would be somewhere in your router/modem's configuration pages. Alternatively, I believe you can have PlusNet run a whoosh test on your line, which will return the same kind of results. But I may be wrong (I seem to be saying that a lot!).
Community Veteran

How do u find that info out?

Not sure what you mean there?
Where did you get the figures you quoted from? If they are from your own line then it shows it as very good.
Do you mean how do I know that its very good?
N/A

no, how did he get those figures. Is there a program that tests your line or something along those lines?
Community Veteran

Sorry I'd not read the post properly and thought you were the person who made the first post. Cry

To answer your question. Most ADSL modems or Router software have the facility to show you the status of the line. How you access it will be different for each brand but most do have it.
The information will show you the loss of the line in each direction and the signal to noise ratio.
Once you have obtained this information you can get a pretty good idea as to the ability of the line to support ADSL.

Hope this answers your query?
N/A

Hi John what I meant is this is the figures my router gives for my line I was just curious if these values meant a good line or a poor line

Thanks
N/A

Those figures mean you have a very good line and likely live within 1 mile of the exchange.
N/A

You are bang on I do live within a mile of the exchange. I wonder if you could answer this question I have two different kinds of microfilters one which I got with my SMC Barricade and the other I got from your modem starter pack. The figures with the microfilter I received from you are below and the original values were with the SMC splitter. What are the best set of figures the ones I posted originally or the ones below. I did not think changing a splitter could make such a big difference.

Noise Margin Upstream 25dB Downstream 43.5dB
Outout Power Upstream 10dBm Downstream 20dBm
Attenuation Upstream 12.5dB Downstream 26.5dB

Thanks
Community Veteran

Original post

Noise Margin Upstream 25db Downstream 36db
Output Power Upstream 10dBm Downstream 8.5dBm
Attenuation Upstream 12.5dB Downstream 27.5dB

Second figures
Noise Margin Upstream 25dB Downstream 43.5dB
Outout Power Upstream 10dBm Downstream 20dBm
Attenuation Upstream 12.5dB Downstream 26.5dB

The last set of figures have a much better noise figure downstream (the noise you recieive) and an improved loss figure down stream.

This shows that the second filter is the better of the two.
Yes filters can be critical. They are made of tuned resonant circuits and the better quality ones will have less loss at the tuned frequency coupled with the correct passband for the range of frequencies in use.