cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New user DNS settings query

iPaqowner
Grafter

As a new user on ADSL and using a Netgear DG824M router, when my line was activated I just let the Netgear auto-detect my account settings and after inputting my username and password everything worked great but I notice under the "Settings" page the pri and sec DNS boxes are blank although everything works okay.

The welcoming email from PlusNet gives you all the settings to manually input and it states Pri DNS Server (ADSL) 212.159.13.49
and Sec 212.159.13.50

Should I manually input these?
Am I missing out or will I have problems if I leave the settings blank?
Thanks,
John.
4 REPLIES
N/A

The netgear has its own dns servers that it contacts so you can add your own or leave it as it is. I find its best to set your O/S to +nets dns and leave the router alone. This way if your O/S cant find a dns the router stands a chance of doing so.

This would only happen if +net dns went down.
iPaqowner
Grafter

Thanks for that info, I didn't know the Netgear had it's own DNS servers.
John
N/A

I find its best to set your O/S to +nets dns and leave the router alone. This way if your O/S cant find a dns the router stands a chance of doing so.

Your computer will not fallback to the router as the DNS server unless it is set as one of the DNS servers.

By default you only get assigned 2 DNS servers, unless you manualy add a third (which I might add is buried in the menus), no others will be used.

DNS servers are just like mail servers. Your systems needs specific instructions on which machine (IP address) to contact.
N/A

I can't speak of your NetGear router specifically, but what typically happens is that when your router makes a connection to the ISP (PlusNet) over the Point to Point Protocol (PPP), PlusNet assigns you router it's IP address and pass it information such as the default route and DNS server addresses. These addresses do not normally appear in the router's configuration screens as they are dynamically assigned and hence have not been configured by you on the router.

If your router is assigning IP addresses to your computers (with DHCP) then it will issue IP addresses, along with it's address as the default gateway and either it's address as the DNS server so that it can act like a DNS caching or slave server - in truth it's more of a DNS proxy or more accurately a DNS relay, as you can not configure how it operates (like adding zone files, doing zone transers etc.) - or as just pas on the addresses of the DNS servers it's been given (via PPP or manually configured).

Neil