Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to broadband!

N/A

New to broadband!

Hi all,
i'm expecting bt to activate my line on the 9th March, and I have a couple of
questions...
1) Although this is probably obvious, do BT need to gain access to my house to activate the line?
2) I understand that my modem won't be sent until the line is activated (it has been confirmed as upgradable), does this mean that I will suffer problems with my telephone until I fit the filters to my line?
3) Could you all give me your honest opinion on the service that plusnet provide, I hear that there are a lot of problems witht he supplied modem, dropped lines etc... - any feedback would be great...marks out of 10?

Cheers all

Muggy
7 REPLIES
N/A

New to broadband!

1)no
2)yes
3)very good
Community Veteran

New to broadband!

1) not normally. Most ADSL activations just involve BT doing something at the exchange end

2) No the phone will work fine. It's only when you connect your modem that you need the filters for the phone, fax, skybox. 56k modem etc

3) No comment Wink Yes there are problems at the moment and some people have had problems with the Binatone USB modem but many just install it without problems. Each user is different so it's impossible to know if you will have a problem until you try it.
N/A

New to broadband!

I think the service is good i wud like 2 order things via phone as i think ordering by phone is safey thats just me. But its a good service
N/A

New to broadband!

Safer to anticipate modem problems! Have a PCI internal adsl modem fitted this week!
Phantom_Flan_Fl
Grafter

New to broadband!

3) No ISP has a 100% happy user base

The disgruntled are always going to shout loudest so that is the posts you read most, which obviously cause you concern. They want their problems sorted so they make their feelings heard, which is fair enough IMO.

A problem with Plusnet may be trouble free with another ISP and vice versa.
pcorker
Grafter

New to broadband!

Re: the modem
Unless you are well up on USB you could have a read on the usbman site, while you wait, especially if you have a VIA chipset on your motherboard.
Pat
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

New to broadband!

Hi,

To answer your first two questions, BT don't normally need access to your house, the ADSL service is activated remotely. We will try and send the modem out in advance so that it should arrive on or just before your activation date.