cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to Plusnet - not working

N/A

hi all.
I've just transferred to plusnet from bt broadband, and cannot get the new connection to work. The pc logs in correctly, reports 1.1Mbps speed, then sits there. I can't download a single web page. Very frustrating. I've phoned the help line several times now, and they insist that I have a firewall that's blocking access - I've now uninstalled all the firewall and anti-virus software and disabled the windows firewall. I've also tried logging in from my other pc - same result. Tried dial up, that worked perfectly with the firewall activated. Latest 'helpful' suggestion is to unplug the modem from the phone line for an hour. Uhm, the hardware hasn't changed... The modem's the standard BT Voyager thing, so should work.

Help.

Sad
9 REPLIES
N/A

have you cleared all the BT Broadband rubbish from your PC before you started - especially the proxy entries they place in IE sometimes,
N/A

No. I've been trying to find the equivalent of an install pack for Plusnet that would set this up for me, but haven't yet. I've advised plusnet that I think it's their server blocking me out and nothing to do with my pcs.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check.
N/A

I don't think there is a auto configure utility however I've always found the connection settings area of the portal useful as a starting point. It can be found @

https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=myconnection
N/A

Have you tried using an e-mail program, or ping an address, just to determine whether it's a setting with ie that's a miss or an connection issue.
N/A

still no luck

Very frustrating. Thanks for the suggestions, but I've now tried them all, and still nothing. It's quite incredible, I've had broadband for 18 months and never had a single occassion when it won't connect or work. Now I've transferred away from BT, nothing! There must be some way of lifting the bonnet to see why it's not working...
:x
Pah!
N/A

do you have a USB modem or a router?

If you have a router, does it have a web interface? Most good routers, like the Netgear's have a Diagnostics tab where you can ping internet based addresses and test the DNS etc out from the router and therefore you can eliminate anything PC based.
N/A

Router

I would like to get a wireless router, and the netgear one has been reccomended to me as it provides the firewall also. At the moment I'm just using the standard BT voyager 100 modem. I'll try pinging etc later this evening when at home.

Thanks for the suggestion though.
N/A

fair play - let us know how u get on

I'd recommend the DG834G - I've had one for ages now and it's been faultless. The only problems I ever had was with firmware 1.03 and VPNs, v1.04 sorted that.

From what I gather the new beta firmware looks good for version 2.

The Netgears are just nice and easy to configure and use. They also have decent wireless unlike many other manufactuers.
N/A

Cheesy
Strange. It's working now. I've changed nothing! This is quite bizarre. It wasn't working when I got home, then I went on line with dial up for half an hour, now it works...

Anyway, the speed is great. It appears tp be working nicely.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Sean.