cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to Plus.net ADSL

N/A

New to Plus.net ADSL

Im new to broadband. At the moment im waiting for my modem to arrive (friday, cant wait). I just want a few answers if anyone can help me. How long does it take to connect to the internet, will i get any call charges and what speed will i normally connect.
9 REPLIES
N/A

New to Plus.net ADSL

Broadband is classed as "allways on".

This means you can be connected for as long or as short a time as you wish, wihtout incuring any further fees or connection costs.

ADSL is not like a normal modem, it doesn't need to dial a number for it to operate. It works on a frequency range the human ear can't hear, thus, both the voice and ADSL lines can operate via the same wires.

The benefit of this, you can have both ADSL on and in use, while making a phone call, and you wouldn't know the differance.

Depending on how long it takes you to get the modem setup and working, you can be connected in less than 10 mins.

If you purchased a router: Once connected you should be able to request any site at any time and have it instantly.

If you chose PCI or USB: On the first attempt to get a site, it may take between 10 to 30 seconds while it syncs and authenticates, btu people have seen much smaller times.

As for speeds. This will generaly be between 55 - 60 KB/second. This is around 10 times faster than your standard 56kbit modem.

You mjay wish to use the +Net or ADSLGuide speed checkers to see how fast your connection is. You may also attempt to download a file, then you will feal the power.
N/A

New to Plus.net ADSL

1) The first time you connect to the internet it may take a short time extrac compared to normal times. Otherwise, the adsl is always on, the connection is permanent (unless you switch off your modem or router).

2) There are no call charges at all.

3) You usually get about 60kb/s download and 30kb/s upload on 512k. Line quality, etc. depending.
Community Veteran

New to Plus.net ADSL

First of all Ill move this trhread to the ADSL forum as your questions are proper to that one.

By connect to the internet do you mean the time to set it up or the time for it to let you see a web page once you request a connection?
If the latter then a couple of seconds only.

There are no call charges with ADSL as you are connected all the time if you so wish.

Depending on the package you have opted for the sped will be either 512k 1 meg or 2 meg downloading and all packages have 256k upload.
N/A

New to Plus.net ADSL

Cheers. Your good out there. I cant believe anyone replied that quickly. 1 more question. how long would it take, roughly, to download 20MB.
N/A

New to Plus.net ADSL

20MB = 20480KB

If the average is 60KB/s, then it would take

20480 / 60 = 342 secons = 5mins 42 seconds.
N/A

New to Plus.net ADSL

Damn thats quick. well i dont think ill be dissapointed when my modem gets here. Ill sign on again friday sometime. Cheers for your help everyone Cheesy
N/A

New to Plus.net ADSL

You have to remember, that is a best case scenario. However, it isn't that far off.
N/A

New to Plus.net ADSL

If the average is 60KB/s, then it would take

20480 / 60 = 342 secons = 5mins 42 seconds.

We'll hold you to that -- if it's 5 mins 41 seconds or 5 mins 43 seconds, you're for the high jump!
Community Veteran

New to Plus.net ADSL

As Philip has pointed out 60k is the speed of your connection from PlusNet but as is well known a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.
Depending on just where you are downloading from and the speed of the slowest link in this chain then you may find you don't always get the top speed.

However you will find it a vast improvement over a 56k modem :lol: