cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to Broadband, a little advise please

N/A

I have just switched from dsl150 to 2mb broadband and it is no faster at all,
(I have just tried to enter a ticket for it but it says I need 3 results on the same day with one after midnight so I will have to do this and enter the ticket tomorrow).
I did a number of tests on +net last week and 2 bt tests and they all come up around 135kb/sec, surely this can't be right for a "2mb" connection.
I've read a number of threads on here but I'm not really sure what I can do about it.
It appears I should check my equipment then get bt to check my line then check with +net?
I have a modem router which is plugged into my bt line via an extension cable, I have no problem with my phones or with getting connected so I think this must be ok? or could this be causing a speed problem? My main bt box is in the hall so its hard to plug my modem in there direct as there are no power points or any where to put the router. I could plug it in there temp and do the speed test on my laptop via wifi would this give me a different result?
I've checked on the bt exchange thing and it says it is ok although it says it will be updated 'from may 2005' if this had happened would it say it had been done?

Hope this makes sense, if anyone can offer any advise I'd be grateful or if you need any more info to help please ask
:shock:
17 REPLIES
N/A

Your speeds are indeed dire for a 2mb connection.

Unfortunately you will be required to test your connection from the master socket, if you can do it with your laptop that will work well.

Get those speed tests done and submitted and hopefully BT and Plus net will resolve this one. If Plus net have asked you to contact BT to get your line checked it is only the voice part of the line they need you to check. BT Retail (150) cannot check your ADSL side. If there is a problem with the voice side it could affect the ADSL signal.

Good luck getting it sorted.
N/A

ok so i've done three tests on +net, three on bt and one on adslguide, fastest I achieved was 141kb/sec, rest were mid 130's. So I suppose I now need to start a ticket with +net?
N/A

You certainly do.. The quicker you raise it the quicker they will sort it.

Good luck.
N/A

Ok so I've raised a ticket and +net have passed it to BT, anyone know roughly how long it will be before BT do something with it? and what do BT do, do they need access to the house?
N/A

It's hard to tell at the minute. They (BT) are extremely busy. If an engineer visit is required Plus Net or BT will let you know and try to pick a time that suits both parties.
N/A

Ok so I've raised a ticket and +net have passed it to BT, anyone know roughly how long it will be before BT do something with it? and what do BT do, do they need access to the house?

If plus.net are organising this then I would say 1-2 years Sad good luck
N/A

Once it comes up on a BT Job list, the engineer will normally call you him(or her)self to arrange a time that will fir in for both of you.
Sadly the times are normally quite general - ie 11am - 5pm, however because you speak to the actual engineer who will be calling, you can normally arrange for him to give you half an hours notice of when he will actually arrive, so you can pop home from work.
Doesn't always happen that well, and admittedley many peeps can't pop out of work, but could be helpful to ask....
Although sometimes access may not neccesarily be required to your house, invariably that is the place that they will start when trying to find out what your problem is though.
N/A

I'm new to Plus Net too and with slow speeds I am going through exactly the same process and raised a ticket last Saturday. Both Plus net and BT were prompt in their replies and the BT wholesale broadband engineer is due this Friday a.m. (they did offer Wednesday). So, if one is reasonably patient and follows the right channels, I'm optomistic that things will be resolved.
I did notice last night after midnight that the line speed went up from my usual 400k to 1900k for the first time! So my line is capable after all but lets not jump to any conclusions till Fridat eh!
lysaght
N/A

I did notice last night after midnight that the line speed went up from my usual 400k to 1900k for the first time!lysaght

Yeah ........ well make the most of it cos it will never reach that speed again. Mines been hitting 0Kb/Sec for the last 17 days and plusnet don't give a rats you know what ...... actually if you do end up hitting them speeds then can you cache the entire net for me and send it to me on 1,000,000 DVD's then I won't have to bother with my kaput plusnet service Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad
N/A

well make the most of it cos it will never reach that speed again

How can you possibly say that with any degree of accuracy?

See the replies to some of your other posts.

Some constructive posts from you might go a long way to identifying and maybe rectifying your problems.
Community Veteran

If plus.net are organising this then I would say 1-2 years Sad good luck

1-2 years but not because of PN that is BT's idea of normal. Have you done any BT speed tests on your account, I read in another post you are getting speeds of "0kb/s" i.e. not able to get any data.
N/A

I'm still getting good speeds - just recorded 1873.6 kb/s on 61dB line attenuation and 1dB noise margin. Connection has been up for 8 hours now so I can't complain - hopefully BT can do something about the line quality when they visit on Friday.
N/A

1-2 years but not because of PN that is BT's idea of normal. Have you done any BT speed tests on your account, I read in another post you are getting speeds of "0kb/s" i.e. not able to get any data.

Yes that is correct, I had broadband working fine for about a month, it went off and hasn't been back on for the last 17 days, there is a synch problem which agreed is likely to be BT's fault, but I can't raise this problem directly with BT, I have to do it through plusnet's time consuming and slow responding 'ticket system' and there telephone support is just as bad (unless you have unlimited time to wait for your call to be answered) .... which I don't i'm afraid. On average every question I send them takes 1-2 days to be answered which IMHO is very poor service ... and most of these question are read straight out of the help files on there web-site ..... have you got your filters installed correctly ..... have you tried with all telephony disconnected ...... you could be charged 50 quid if youre wrong ..... blah blah blah
So here I am on back on dial-up which I am now paying extra for and my problem unresolved. Bearing in mind I live in a tiny village with an exchange the size of a garden shed I wouldn't of thought it would that bigger problem to sort .... and as I can't gripe to BT about it, then my dissatisfaction has to be voiced with plusnet!
N/A

Whilst i appreciate your frustration the questions asked by the support agents must be answered before BT will let them forward a fault.

I know it seems like jumping through hoops at times but BT make the rules and Plus Net simply abide by them.

BT at present are dealing with a major backlog of faults. Plus Net, because of many of the BT issues affecting customers are also facing a large number of support requests. Unfortunately Support staff are not an infinite resource and delays are inevitable.

What i will assure you is that there are only one or two other isp's with a support record like Plus Net. If you co-operate with them and remain level headed they will work with you to get this resolved.

It is not in Plus Nets plan to have unhappy customers.