cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to ADSL

N/A

New to ADSL

I just logged onto Plusnet last Saturday and was a bit disillusioned by the slow speed and disconnections as I thought ADSL was always on! Having looked at other providers PN looks good value for money and it would appear that the aggravations are ending with positive results.
My speed was a bit naf but have just optimized my DUA settings ( I use DNTools II) to
MTU 1460 and RWIN 17520 (12xMTU) with the following results:-
Downstream 430 Kbps (53.8 KB/sec) 494 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 209 Kbps (26.1 KB/sec) 240 Kbps (inc. overheads)
This is the first time I have experienced the speed of ADSL, beats the old modem?Huh
3 REPLIES
colorado
Dabbler

RE: New to ADSL

> I just logged onto Plusnet last Saturday and was a bit disillusioned by the slow speed and disconnections as I thought ADSL was always on! Having looked at other providers PN looks good value for money and it would appear that the aggravations are ending with positive results.
> My speed was a bit naf but have just optimized my DUA settings ( I use DNTools II) to
> MTU 1460 and RWIN 17520 (12xMTU) with the following results:-
> Downstream 430 Kbps (53.8 KB/sec) 494 Kbps (inc. overheads)
> Upstream 209 Kbps (26.1 KB/sec) 240 Kbps (inc. overheads)
> This is the first time I have experienced the speed of ADSL, beats the old modem??

Welcome to the fast lane,

You may find you can squeeze a little more from your connection with some more tweaking. I use MTU 1458 and RWIN 14180, this gives me Downstream 472 Kbps and Upstream 244 Kbps
this seems to be pretty stable at all times of day. I have to say that web pages can load slowly at times, I am going to try some other settings to RWIN to see if there are any improvements, I will post back if there are any better settings.

Glad to see a new user enjoying the experience, and not winging for a change. Good luck

N/A

As a new user myself, my problems have been with connectivity not so much speed. I have used DSL with telewest at work and it has been as solid as a rock. I have used a clients BT ADSL for months and its been excellent. Then I get connected at home and get a week of crap!. My connection worked most of the day yesterday with great speed for the first time since connecting. Then at 8:00 it disconnected then at 10:00 then I left it till the upgrade had gone through. GUESS WHAT - ITS DISCONNECTED AGAIN THISMORNING AND ITS ONLY 9:45!!!!

THATS WHY I WINGE AND WINE - SOMEONE SORT IT OUT PLEASE! :angryfire
N/A

> > I just logged onto Plusnet last Saturday and was a bit disillusioned by the slow speed and disconnections as I thought ADSL was always on! Having looked at other providers PN looks good value for money and it would appear that the aggravations are ending with positive results.
> > My speed was a bit naf but have just optimized my DUA settings ( I use DNTools II) to
> > MTU 1460 and RWIN 17520 (12xMTU) with the following results:-
> > Downstream 430 Kbps (53.8 KB/sec) 494 Kbps (inc. overheads)
> > Upstream 209 Kbps (26.1 KB/sec) 240 Kbps (inc. overheads)
> > This is the first time I have experienced the speed of ADSL, beats the old modem??
>
>
>
> Welcome to the fast lane,
>
> You may find you can squeeze a little more from your connection with some more tweaking. I use MTU 1458 and RWIN 14180, this gives me Downstream 472 Kbps and Upstream 244 Kbps
> this seems to be pretty stable at all times of day. I have to say that web pages can load slowly at times, I am going to try some other settings to RWIN to see if there are any improvements, I will post back if there are any better settings.
>
> Glad to see a new user enjoying the experience, and not winging for a change. Good luck
>
>
>
Can't seem to get more than 427Kbps Downstream no matter what I do. I know that how far you are from an exchange can make a difference and I am about 3K out! I am quite happy with this speed although we all try for more.
Quoting from DNTools help file
"An incorrect receive window size can also cause performance penalties. If the window size isn't a multiple of the size of the packets your receiving, then some packets will have to be sent again. For example, using a packet size of 1460, and Receive window size of 8192 bytes, every sixth would need to be sent again, causing decreased throughput."
I have now reset the MTU 1420, RWIN 11040 which is 8x the MSS 1380. I still get 427Kbps but all pages load smoothly.

I get an anoying ping from my speakers when the ADSL connection cuts out and another ping a few seconds later when it reconnects, this happens quite often, could it be my BT line. I don't have to reconnect manually, everything carries on as normal, apart from the ping and if I happen to change pages when it disconnects evwrything is fine

David