cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New telephone cable worse!

N/A

I bought a new telephone cable, the Belkin ICE cable (the shiney one) to try and cut down the attenuation on my line a bit, as before i had 2 extension leads going straight into the main box on the wall, i also got a new Microfilter, the Exodus one from Broadbandstuff.

Before i had attenuation of 45dB and SNR of 22dB

Now i have attenuation of 49dB and SNR of 30dB

Good on the SNR side, but an annoyance on the attenuation side.

This means im stuck with 1mbit right?
3 REPLIES
N/A

With those figures, likely a yes.

Have you tested the figures using the test socket, on the inside face of the master socket?
Alecto
Grafter

If you put the old cable back, 45 should do you OK for 2Mb (even though technically it should be 43). You'd probably even be OK with 49 - though I gather BT have recently been turning upgrades away without trying them purely on the basis of the measured attenuation.

They don't seem to be consistent in this, though, and I know they have put through 2Mb with no problems on attenuation over 43 . I don't know how you'd make them try your line, though, if they decided to turn it down.

Silly really.
N/A

With those figures, likely a yes.

Have you tested the figures using the test socket, on the inside face of the master socket?

Ill give it a go, see what i get then, if its better i think ill have to look for a new face lol.

shame you cant get BT to put new lines in your house from the pole outside, i bet a new one of them would help!

gpattison: yeh its all well and good doing that, but i have to feed it through a hole in the floor, took long enough for this one to go through and the idea behind doing this was to get rid of 2 extension cables and a socket doubler.

ill also try having the line straight in the wall instead of through a microfilter, that was another difference i had before.